Chapter Sixteen: What To Do?

He'd been running.

It had been almost forty eight hours of non-stop activity, his body buzzing to keep moving, keep his mind moving. Because if he didn't then it would allow him to think and at the moment he didn't want to think.

He wasn't ready.

But now that time is over, he'd been sent home, with the threat that if he didn't leave he would be placed on inactive duty for an indeterminate amount of time.

He couldn't run anymore.

Fate wouldn't allow that, like the cruel mistress it is.

Now he found himself uneasily standing at his apartment door, supposedly his safe space, made his body rush with adrenaline despite the non-stop activity over the two days. Most people would call it madness, He called it productive.

Jimin called it running, blatantly, to his face. Like a dog with a tail between its legs.

Was it bad that he hoped the apartment was still empty? Maybe so, but he needed more time to think.

He pushes open the door, and immediately knows that the universe was not going to be denied any longer, he could quite clearly feel Taehyung's soul in the apartment, as vibrant as it usually was.

No, the universe wasn't going to let Jungkook put this off anymore.

He seals the door behind him and kicks off his shoes in the entry way, he can feel his roommate before he looks up to see him standing there, eyes a little widened, wrapped up in a blanket. Jungkook looked him up and down, Taehyung looking as tired as he should feel.

The tension his body begins to immediately fades a little as his instincts shift into finding whatever was causing his soul distress but the answer was right in front of him.

He was causing the distress.

He gets the courage to say something, anything, a syllable, a sound.

"Have you eaten?"

Jungkook's attempt at speech, dissolves into nothing but at puff of air escaping his mouth as he nods in response, watching as his blanket clad friend disappears around the corner into the kitchen, pots and pans clanging as he stood in the doorway frozen.

Why wasn't he being cornered? Questioned?

He think that un-nerves him more than Taehyung actually emoting ever could.

He finally is able to move himself from the door way, moving further into their apartment, nothing was fundamentally different about its appearance, but at the same time everything had changed, in little under an hour their whole dynamic had gotten a shake down.

He didn't know what to do next, and what the council was going to decide also weighed heavily on his mind.

There was nothing solid for him to step onto next.

It felt almost alien to sit down on their couch again, he thought about going to help out in the kitchen but thought it would be a bit too awkward to do so. It was one of the rare times that he was truly at a loss.

Taehyung enters the room with two bowls of steaming ramen, Jungkook's favorite flavor, he gives the other an awkward thank you. While Taehyung eating filled the room, he couldn't make himself eat, his nerves so frayed that he couldn't eat.

Taehyung notices the absence of food entering his roommates mouth, he pauses in his own consumption. "Is it too hot? Do you want something—"

Finally the bubble bursts.