Chapter 6: Facing The Past And Earning The Title

A few weeks past, Tails and Zero have been very exceptional at their swords training. Tails even made his own scabbard for his sword, it is customized to never let anybody to pull the sword, unless it hears Tails' voice. He also placed a weapon hauling device on it. Tails can now keep up with Zero, only he is still a little inexperienced as Zero has been a swordsman for a long time.

Sonic and Caliburn are really proud of them both. Today, Zero is spending his time at a nearby lake tuning his skills.

"Hah!!!!" He exclaimed as he sliced a boulder, which turned into pebbles after being sliced.

"Hey Zero", greeted Gadget as he approached him.

"Oh, hi Gadget", Zero greeted back as he sat on rock.

"How's swords training with Sonic and Tails?", asked Gadget as he sit right next to him.

"It went pretty well. Sonic said if I keep this up, I might earn my title as a knight", answered Zero as he took out a cloth and began clean his sword.

"That's sounds wonderful!", said Gadget.

"Yeah, I'm kinda excited as well", said Zero with a bit of excitement in his voice.

Suddenly an explosion can be heard near the base.

"What was that!?", said Gadget.

"That doesn't sound good, come on!" ordered Zero as both of them went running back to the base.They found Eggman in another giant mech, and Sonic and the others were fighting. One by one, they were but on indestructible glass cages. All was left were Sonic, Shadow, Tails, and Silver.

"Let them go, Eggface!", demanded Sonic as he dodge the lasers as fast as he can.

"Never!!!!", yelled Eggman as he continued to shoot more lasers at them. They kept on fighting, while Gadget and Zero were watching.

"Come on, Zero! We got to help them!" said Gadget as he prepared himself for the fight.

"I-I can't, I-I'm scared facing my past. I'm afraid to called weak by the person who turned me into a monster.......", shuddered Zero as he shook like a leaf. They suddenly heard Sonic screaming in pain. They found him injured, while Tails, Silver, and Shadow in the same glass cages. Everyone screamed his name as he still gets up, cringing in pain .

"Please Zero, we need to help them. If we don't do something soon, Sonic will get even more hurt and might ended up killing himself!", pleaded Gadget.

Zero remembered the events when Sonic found him, the person who helped him, who believed that he is strong and that he can still change for the better. He stand up and quickly ran towards Sonic and saved him from taking another hit from Eggman.

"Z- zero.....", said Sonic in a weak voice.

"Stay low and rest up..........", Zero ordered as he put Sonic down and walks forward to Eggman with his sword ready.

"Well, if isn't Infinite, another one of my failed creations", taunted Eggman.

"My name is Zero, and I'm not your creation. I've only agreed to it as I want to prove that I am strong, which is one of the biggest mistake of my life........", said Zero.

"Oh, so what! Your weak, your always weak! Quit embarrassing yourself, I've seen enough of your lame strength", said Eggman with hatred in his voice. Zero just chuckled at that.

"What so funny", asked Eggman.

"That's because you never saw my true strength, now I will show you because I found what I have been missing my whole life......", said Zero as he activates the power of the Phantom Ruby and began making illusions of the day that Sonic helped him and making fake copies of Sonic and the gang.

"What I've been missing is.......... Friends that I can trust and they will always give me the strength I need to beat you!!!!!!" yelled Zero as he charged and began slicing the weapons of Eggman's mech with the fake copies assisting him.While some of them freed the real ones. When the others are free, he deactivated the Phantom Ruby, making the fake copies disappeared. Then using additional from the Phantom Ruby, his sword began radiating with red aura.

"Illusion Slash!!!!!!!", screamed Zero as he sliced the huge mech and landed safely on the ground. It exploded into smithereens when he smiled at the same time.

"Curse you Zero!!!!! I'll be back with an even stronger robot!!!!!", yelled Eggman. And with that he flown away. Everyone cheered and thanked him for saving them. Gadget helped Sonic to walk towards Zero.

"Thanks Zero, I would have been a goner if it wasn't for you", said Sonic as he groaned in pain.

"Sir Sonic, I know you love being a hero but, your being too reckless. And just like you said, if it wasn't for Zero, you  would have been killed!!!", said Caliburn, sternly.

"Caliburn, I'm fine. I've have been through far more worser stuff than this", said Sonic, reassuringly.

"You should go inside and rest Sonic, you really needed it", requested Tails as they bring him inside to treat his wounds and rest. As the night came, the stars were slowly blanketed the dark blue sky. Zero gazed at the stars as he smiled to himself.

"Zero", said Shadow as he approached him.

"Hey Shadow, how's Sonic?", asked Zero.

"Faker's doing well. And for knowing him a long time, he'll heal fast and will be okay tomorrow. You did pretty well at battling the Doctor, you finally won my respect and trust", said Shadow.

"I'm glad about that, it took me a few months to at least get you to trust.", said Zero. Shadow left him alone and Zero went back stargazing.

"I hope you were proud of me, now that I did the right thing........Grandfather............", though Zero as a tear fell from his eyes. Zero went back inside and saw Sonic talking with Tails. He smiled and went towards them.

"Hey, Zero", greeted Sonic, smiling at him.

"Hi Sonic, how are you feeling?", asked Zero.

"I'm feeling much better now, althought I won't be able to teach Tails for awhile", said Sonic.

"It's okay, Caliburn can train me with Zero", said Tails, reassuringly.

"Okay then, Caliburn, can you train Tails along with Zero? Just until I got well", requested Sonic.

"Of course , Sir Sonic. You can count on me for training your apprentice", said Caliburn. After that, everyone went to sleep. Zero wake up in the morning and went outside.

"Good morning", greeted Caliburn.

"Morning, Caliburn", Zero greeted back.

"I can tell you one thing. You have been quite a long way, I wasn't expecting it would be this soon.......", said Caliburn.

"Huh, what do you mean?", said Zero, with a puzzled look.

"Zero The Jackal, you have mastered the codes of chivalry. From this day forth, you are now known as 'Sir Zero, The Knight Of Illusions'", said Caliburn with great pride for his knight's apprentice is now an official knight. Suddenly, Sonic and the gang erupted with cheers.

"Congratulations, Zero! We're all proud of you!", said Sonic as he hugged him. Zero hugged back and thanked everyone and they went inside and celebrated the whole day for earning his title.