33. Christmas

Chapter 33 December 22nd 2025 "Christmas"

SAO Survivors School

I was sitting in class watching the clock slowly move its hands around, it felt like every second took minutes to tick by. Today was the last day before the winter break and in the morning I would be heading back to Kyoto to be with my family. But that wasn't the reason for my impatience.

I had promised Liz that we would make tonight special, since it was the last time we would see each other before the New Year, in the real world at least.

The clock hit 3:15 and the final bell of the day rang out. You could feel the excitement throughout the school as we all rushed out towards the exits, but before leaving the front gates I diverted off the side where my friends were all gathered.

"Finally Tyzn, what took you so long?" Liz called to me as I jogged up.

"It's like getting caught up in a traffic jam getting out of there" I said in return.

Asuna chuckled to herself. "I'm gonna miss seeing you guys in the real world." She said to us all. Liz, Silica and I were all heading home to our parents for Christmas and wouldn't be back until after New Years.

"Eh, we've got ALO. We're still going to see each other all the time." Kirito responded in a dismissive tone.

"It's not the same though, and not everyone is as addicted as you are." Asuna replied in a stern voice.

"It's good we can still meet up like that though. I can't imagine how people would've made it through the holidays without VR." Silica said.

I had never considered it before but Silica was only 12 when the SAO incident started, she probably wouldn't have known any different when it came to having friends that you really missed. Then again I doubt many of us would. Kirito and I were always loners before SAO while Liz and Asuna had never mentioned IRL friends before SAO so I could only assume they were too.

"I'm still going to be unable to come online for a week this holiday though. I've gotta go to my grandparents in Kyoto and they hate the fact that I play VRMMO's more than even my mum does." Asuna said in a sad voice.

"Well Tyzn can always come along and break you out." Liz said. "He can do with being someone else's hero for a change!"

This made Asuna laugh and she seemed cheered up a little. "I wish it was that easy" Asuna replied.

"I'm gonna be at my grandparents for a few days too and they don't even have the internet." I said solemnly. "I also haven't told my parents that I'm still playing VRMMO's yet so that will be... interesting."

"Well you better make sure you're online to help with the floor 21 boss!" Liz growled at me. "You promised you would help Kirito and Asuna!"

"Whoa!" I said holding my hands in the air. "I'll find a way to help, calm down!"

"Thank you Tyzn" Asuna said with a smile. Getting back their home on floor 22 was very important to Asuna and Kirito and I had every intention to help them reach it. Even Yui had expressed excitement at the possibility since she had met them both on floor 22.

We spent another ten minutes talking with Asuna and Kirito before we had to board the last bus back to the hostel. We each exchanged hugs and goodbyes before boarding, although giving Kirito a handshake felt more appropriate for me.

_____________________________________________________

When we finally arrived back at the hostel I said my last goodbye to Silica for the year and hurried back to my room to change, meeting Liz by my bike as quickly as we could.