Prologue

Wings of Fire: The Forgotten Legend

By Max Grey (Maximus Draconis)

Prologue

Approximately 50 years before Darkstalker's Terror

Before the birth of Darkstalker, the tension between the Nightwings and Icewings was increasing. The Icewings were blaming the Nightwings for having spies in their territory, while the Nightwings got mad because the Icewings were "intruding on Nightwing territory".

At this time there was a Nightwing who was a great warrior and revered across all Pyrrhia, known as Windshadow. He was tired of all the fighting and asked Queen Oblate to give assistance, so they would stop the disagreement. He promised the Icewings they would not tread on their territory, in return, they would not have any spies in Icewing kingdom (even though the Icewings agreed, they were still mad about the spies, and that carried over to the actual war).

After the ordeal, Queen Oblate called Windshadow privately. He walked through the grand hallway up to the huge doors and went past. They were shut behind him by the two guards. The queen was sitting on the throne.

"Yes, my queen, what is it you called me for?"

She smiled at him.

"This is a very private matter. There is no one in this room but us."

"If you want to keep whatever this is a secret, I will swear on my honor to keep it so."

"You know I have no heir to continue the throne, and I have no one who is good enough for my heir. Will you accept, from a friend, not queen, to continue my line and help raise the best dragonets? You are a very skillful dragon at almost anything, and I would love it if you ruled alongside me."

She looked at him for a desperate answer. He just stood frozen, looking like he was just attacked by an Icewing.

"I...who would say no to such a privilege? I gladly accept and promise that our dragonets will grow up to be better than what I am!"

One year later, in a dark sky filled with stars and the two moons, on the cliffside, were two dragons pacing back and forth.

"I told you it was a bad idea to have the eggs out here! Why can't we just have them on the palace hatching grounds?" asked Windshadow.

"Because it is bad for them, with everyone watching! Alright, we know for certain one is female and the other male. If only we would stop arguing about names, we could..."

Before the female could finish, a loud crack could be heard from one of the eggs.

"It's happening! Oh, three, no, two, moons, it's coming out!"

A little dragonet burst through the shell.

"She's the female! And I called it, she will be named Vigilance!"

The little dragonet squealed and advanced toward Oblate.

Then the second egg started cracking, and the queen turned toward Windshadow.

"Dear, the male is hatching, it's..." she stopped.

"Are you ok?"

Windshadow was looking up at the two moons with his back toward the queen. A bird crossed the moon's light.

"I have seen a vision. Yes, Vigilance will succeed the throne. But disaster will befall the Nightwings, and the greed of a monarch will be the end. And our son," who crawled out of the shell, looked at the two moons, and at the same time a comet crossed the dark sky, "will be called Nighthawk, though not for the rest of his life." He looked with sadness at Oblate, who started to have a worried look on her face, and then the dragonets, who stared back at him.

"I have already failed as a parent. But I will still try my best, for you, dear."

That was a great first page! Hope I can continue it...

Vigilance, dragon species and Pyrrhia belong to Tui T. Sutherland.

The rest are my OCs