Chapter 2

As Shadowhawk flew back to the palace, he saw hundreds of Nightwings working their daily jobs below him; a couple was arguing, the shopkeeper was smiling (must have had a good day), and guards were practicing; this was all done in the Great Diamond.

The Great Diamond was a collection of a few buildings, namely the school, library, and the palace, which towered over everything. Shadowhawk flew into the Great Hall to land softly onto the stone. He found the queen talking with an Icewing,

"...and that's settled. Tell her we'll be going in about a few days. Thank you." And at that, the Icewing jumped and flew off into the distance. Queen Oblate looked at Shadowhawk.

"Hello, son. Is something worrying you? You look kind of sad," she said as he realized he was frowning and tried his best to manage a smile.

"Ah, everything's all right, mom." If he told anyone of what he knew of the future, it would be disastrous. Thank the moons for animus magic and blocking mind-readers. "Where's Vigilance?" He asked.

Oblate looked at him with a funny expression.

"Oh, she's probably where she normally is, in her room."

"Ok, thanks. Well, good morning!" He walked over down the hall to Vigilance's room, where he opened the door to find her looking at herself in the mirror, wearing diamonds on her wings. That dragon's problem with diamonds is outrageous he thought. She turned to him and asked, "What do you want?"

He smiled and responded, "Just checking where you were." But then again, where else would she be? "Well, good morning." And ran off to his room on the other side of the corridor.

The doors were opened by Shadowhawk as he was about to go to bed, then he passed by the fountain water in the middle of his room and paused to look at the water. The dragon staring back at him was a normal Nightwing face. But what was different about Shadowhawk was that unlike other mind-readers and seers, where they had sliver tear-drop like scales, he had a lined silver streak under each eye. He thought it was because of him being the first Nightwing animus (a secret which he had kept well-hidden that no one knew), while his mother thought it was because of the comet in the sky when he was born.

He stood looking at his reflection awhile, wondering what those silver scales could do. Sure, he could see blurred futures, and read minds (even though that too was a little fuzzy), but he knew those scales were meant for something else. So, focusing, as the room was completely silent, he searched for...something. After a little bit, with no luck, he was about to go to his bed. Then it hit him.

Sorry for it being a little short. I was running out of time, so I made this in about an hour...
Vigilance, Nightwings, and the Night Kingdom belong to Tui T. Sutherland.
The rest are my OCs.
Please comment! That would be much appreciated!