Chapter 7

He looked around and didn't see her. Ok, she went running off. I guess it was expected that she would. For him, she was just...different. And she made him feel happy. I am getting so distracted! Shadowhawk looked at the two queens talking, who were deep in conversation; so, he slipped out quietly.

When the tunnel had reached its end, he glanced right and saw Foeslayer, sitting with an Icewing. They were facing the sunset, and the Icewing spoke: "It's these old legends we have. Warning us of the dangers of animus magic – use it too much, you lose your soul, some mystical mumbo-jumbo like that, which probably isn't even true. But once there's a law set down in the Ice Kingdom, everyone better follow it with no questions asked." Making sure he wasn't noticed, Shadowhawk hid behind a snow drift. So, this Icewing was apparently an animus, and that's the energy that's coming from...an earring? He looked closer and realized Foeslayer was wearing one. The world flashed, and information poured into his head. The earring was enchanted to keep the wearer warm and safe, no matter the danger.

He gasped for air, trembling on what just occurred.

"No. Why did you do this – for me? Aren't you worried about your soul?" Foeslayer said in a funny yet serious tone.

"Not anymore. It's yours now...if you want it," the Icewing said.

Shadowhawk watched intently and heard some words from the Icewing's mind, although all was not clear (he certainly wasn't the best at mind reading). Mother will never allow it...the queen will crush my entire life...it's my life, my magic, and my heart. Then Foeslayer held talons with him. Oh, this is very, very bad. Strictly forbidden. Who knows what might come out of this. Oh, wait a minute...Shadowhawk's thoughts were interrupted.

"I'm going to say something really sappy," Foeslayer said.

The Icewing smirked. "More sappy than what I just said? I'd like to see you try." A pale cold wind swept through.

"I have this strange feeling that the world is about to change forever," Foeslayer replied.

In more ways than you possibly could know.

"Well, I know that my world is changed forever. And – wait. Someone's watching us. Come out now, in the name of Prince Arctic!"

Shadowhawk stepped boldly out from behind the drift. "You heard every word, didn't you?" The Icewing's eyes narrowed. "Well, I guess I just have to take care of the problem."
Foeslayer reacted quickly. "No! Please don't! He promises he won't tell anyone, right Shadowhawk?"

He looked at the annoyed Icewing. "You are a very good dragon, I am sure. Please to be acquainted. I promise not to tell anyone because I know what you are capable of. We don't want another war, do we?" The Icewing, whose name was Arctic, Prince Arctic, still glared at him.
"Why should I trust..." he paused, then looked at Foeslayer, "you?"

"Because he's a good friend of mine, and you trust me, don't you?" Foeslayer looked at him with pitiful eyes. "Ok, fine," Arctic grumbled. "What do you want, and if nothing, go away." Shadowhawk took a deep breath. "There is something I want you to know, but now is not the time or place."

They all then heard footsteps, and out came the party of queens from the dome. Oblate had a very tired expression, and Diamond looks smug. "Thank you so much for your hospitality. And may the peace continue." Oblate said wearily.
The other dragons faced each other. "Arctic, you can come with us if you like. It is a bit warmer there, but I'm sure you'll like it." Foeslayer said to Arctic, and he then thought for a while. "I'm still not quite sure yet..."
"Well, come whenever you feel like it!"

As the Nightwings started to fly off, Shadowhawk heard what he thought was from Diamond's mind.

Thank goodness that's over, she was a real pain. Now let the real fun begin.

Hey, Y'all! IT HAS BEEN A SHORT TIME but I am back. Enjoy!
Sorry if it was a little boring, but just wait for the better things to come!
Based on the books by Tui T. Sutherland
Some parts were taken from Legends: Darkstalker