Twenty six

"A lot of people tell me I'm a bit dreamy. But I like the idea of that. Of being somewhere else." ~ Alex Turner.

PALLAK'S POV

"No no no" I shout "that's like as bad as it gets"

"Arey nahi! Dhyan se please" (oh no! Please, a bit carefully)

"That's fine yes" I sigh.

Samiksha's engagement ceremony is about to start, the guests are about to come and we still are adding finishing touches.

"Pallak, is this okay?" Dabs comes to me and hands me the Aarti thali (prayer plate thing-)

"Haan wow! It's looking really pretty. Just maybe add a few flowers?" I tell her.

Dabs leaves and Shubman comes

"Hi Babe" he smiles at me and then kisses my cheek.

"Don't shub. Kaha na Abhi we're not telling anyone" I scold him. (I told you we're not telling anyone right now)

"Yes because you want this day to be only Samiksha's. You are such a nice friend" he kisses my forehead and leaves.

I look up and all the flowers are perfectly positioned. Feeling satisfied, I leave to Samiksha's room.

"Bhaad mai jao sab" Samiksha is shouting (go to hell all)

"Sam?" I walk in "kya hua?"

She makes a face at me and asks "how am I looking? Why isn't this duppata staying put"

"Sam you're looking gorgeous" I assure her "this duppata is fine"

"Pakka?" (Sure)

"Yes Hun" I smile "tension nahi le" (don't take tension)

She smiles in return and goes back to observing her self in the mirror.

"Vain" I shout and run out the room.

***
I'm waiting for Abhay and his family to arrive, sitting down with everyone.

Shubman keeps winking at me.

Rahul high-key suspects something. He keeps raising his eyebrows at me.

"Pallak sun" (listen) Rahul finally comes to me.

"Haan?" (Yeah?) I ask him.

"Tera aur Shubman ka kuch chal raha hai kya?" (Is something going on between you and Shubman)

I say nothing. How can I? If I say anything to him, sab ko pata chal jayega (everyone will get to know)

He senses my discomfort and says "on second thought, rehne de, nahi Bol" he smiles at me (let it be, don't tell me anything) "I don't want to force you two to make it public before everything is serious, like your Shubman did with me and Dabs"

"What do you mean? Aren't you serious about Dabs?"

"More than anything I've ever been serious about" he says "I love her." And then he walks away.

"Aadha Ghanta late hogaye, call kare kya?" (They're like half an hour late. Shall we call them?) Samiksha's mother asks me

"Mai Dekhti hu aunty" (let me see to it, aunt) I tell her and then start to move to Samiksha's room but before I can go, their car stops at the front gate.

"Aagaye" (they're here) Samiksha's father sighs and goes to receive them.

Once everyone is settled and all, I go to call Samiksha.