Chapter Eight

Lance barely had time to register what was happening before he was diving out the way. 

He grunted and rolled onto his stomach to regain himself. The lion circled him slowly, eyes glinting in the blinding light around them. Lance held back a yelp of fear.

This was supposed to be the guardian, right? Why did it seem like it wanted to attack him? 

The teen reached for his bayard at his side, inching his hand closer to it. 

The lion let out a mighty roar and advanced on him. Lance quickly snapped his hand away, holding it up in surrender. "Alright, alright, I don't have it, see?" His voice was light and came out a lot calmer than he expected it to.

He cautiously stood to his feet and took a deep breath. He took some steps forward and held out his hand. The beast growled and kept its distance. 

 "Okay, not there yet," he said half-heartedly. Where were Allura and Lotor? He had no idea where he was, much less what the heck this thing wanted to do with him. 

The guardian will only let worthy Alteans through.

Okay. 

This had to be apart of that. He was here for a reason- right.

He sat back down on his haunches like this was any regular house cat, and held out his arm. Dios, what the hell am I doing?

The lion ran straight for him again and it took everything in Lance's being to stay put. He squeezed his eyes shut, expecting the worst.

Nothing. 

He peeked an eye open and he was in the same place, except the lion was just... gone. 

How did it just disap-?

His thoughts were interrupted, literally, when all of the sudden he gasped, not out of pain, but... he didn't know how to describe it. Surprise, definitely, but it felt like something else was controlling him. His mind was still there, very aware, but it wasn't him.

Deep in his mind he could feel a rumble, a growl. Chosen One, it said.

Lance startled. That certainly wasn't his voice. 

I am the Guardian, Chosen One, the voice replied. 

 "This is weird," Lance said aloud. He was the lion. That's where it went? "How are you inside my mind?"

Do not be frightened by this, it answered. I am the White Lion. I am here to introduce you to your past.

Lance's eyes widened. He gulped. "Th-that makes sense..."

That is why you are here, is it not, Paladin?

 "I guess..." Lance said. "This is just... really hard."

I understand. But you are the Chosen One. Oriande has brought out your true self. You must know your past.

Lance hesitated. This is what he's been so desperate for. The White Lion could explain everything and maybe... maybe he can finally accept the truth.

He didn't really have much of a choice. He was here. He had to do this.

 "Okay..." he spoke. "I'm ready."

Chosen One, the lion said like this was a ceremony. It is time to introduce you to your side unseen.

xxx

A scene began to play in front of Lance's eyes, an image that was not really there. It was like a hallucination, but not. It kind of felt like a dream.