Chapter 23 - Dance With Me

Chapter 23

After Killian's ragged plea in the market to save him, Ely didn't know what to do.  The carriage arrived, took them back to the castle then Killian retreated, disappearing for several days.  She hardly saw him in the weeks coming up to the ball.  What shook her the most, was him using her name of endearment.  Killian had been formal up until that point.  In his raw moment of weakness, he used the shortened name only her closest loved ones called her.  What was truly  confusing was how her heart enjoyed the sound of it from his lips.

Standing before the large oak doors with ornate carvings,  Ely wrang her fingers together. The circular motion kept her mind at ease.  Shallow breaths entered then exited her lungs, refusing to deepen and calm.  Her tight silken bodice pale blue dress steadily began to feel stifling.  Her fingers ceased the circular motion. Instead, they danced across the lacey drop waist, following the seam up the center,  flattened palm gliding over the cool bumps of beadwork.  The circlet on Ely's head weighed down on her anxiety.  It had laid in a box on her bed when she returned from her visit to the orphanage that day.  Silver and gold intricately twisted and braided with leaves on a vine.  Kildarian poppies alternated on different vines leading to an emerald in the center.  Accompanying it was a handwritten note from Killian.

To match your eyes.  Though it is not nearly as beautiful as you.  Thank you for your affection and understanding in the village.    ~K

The last fortnight flew by in a mere blink.  From the village, maids and women  were brought in to assist Ely and Vanessa in cleaning the castle from top to bottom.  Walls were scrubbed to their original bright white-washed brightness, glass of the windows cleansed, tile floors shined and rugs beaten of all dust.  Large vases of bold flower bouquets were brought in to decorate the tables along the corridors.  Floral scents mixed, roses, lavender, and poppies overwhelmed the area, instead of stagnant dust.  Chandeliers and iron candelabras were gifted new candles that  were lit regularly. 

In preparation for the grand ball, the setting  was in full swing just beyond those doors. The military generals and their wives, high members of court and aristocrats attended.  It was customary for the royals to be announced one at a time.  Killian entered first and when he was ready, he would send for Ely.  In turn, Ely awaited Vanessa to join her.

"This place almost feels like home again," the elder sister chimed, linking arms with Ely.

Vanessa wore an elegant crimson red gown.  The square neck covered her chest, modestly high up laying.  From the edge of her slim shoulders, the fabric draped into a belled sleeve.  Each step she took created a soft swoosh of the silk.  The simple dress, accentuated her loose blonde tendrils as a symbol of her unmarried status.  Atop her head lay a plain, braided gold circlet in nod to her princess title.

Ely nodded, "Almost."

The creaking door revealed a guard.  "He is ready for you, Princesses."

"Announce us."

He slipped back through the doors, letting the heavy wood close with a soft thud.  Vanessa slipped her fingers around Ely's, offering a smile of comfort.  The guards muffled words, "Her Majesty's, Princesses Elyena and Vanessa O'Connell of Kildare," sounded through the door.

In fantastic grandeur, the double doors opened to reveal the crowded Great Room.  Tapestries of horses, landscapes and historic battles freshly cleaned hung along the aisle.  Newly painted red sienna five petal roses scattered among the victor masonry brick work showed the elegance of the room.

Nobles dressed in their fanciest regalia and gowns split down the middle as if on cue to form an aisle for the princesses.  One foot in front of the other, the duo strode forward, Ely's fingers held on tighter around Vanessa's.