Chapter 28 - Reports

Chapter 28

Throughout the morning, Killian attended inventory meetings. He received reports updating on kingdom happenings, heard from his advisors, and communicated with his delegates.  He now met with his generals to review the military and their drills.  Leaning his arms broadly across the strategy table, Killian's fingers gripped the edge, brows deeply furrowed in aggravation.  Surrounding the table observing and awaiting the next meeting, were a number of his advisors.

Laid spread out on the table was a map of the continent Tara.  It included the division of kingdoms such as Kildare, Oriel and other surrounding smaller territories, such as Galway, Waterford to the north and south respectively, strewn over the circular wooden surface.  It showed geographical features such as the mountains, rivers and various towns.  On each side, both Killian and the lead General had little t-shaped pieces representing troop divisions during planning for campaigns.

The squadron leader across from Killian was setting down his pieces in a predetermined spot for this drill.  They were predicting and practicing what approach to take when Dakarta's army attacked.  Killian tapped his fingers, intent on the other Generals that spoke.

One of them was a middle-aged advisor, arms crossed over his chest with a bored expression marring his features.  The others looked on with interest.  Unlike most of his associates, this man was devoid of books, scrolls or any sort of records. He peered up at his King, stroking his chin.

"Your Majesty, if you have completed your task here, perhaps we could discuss the prospect of her Majesty being with child?  It has been nearly a month since the wedding.  Your Highness has been frequently his wife's chambers?"

Killian glanced up with a dismissive sneer, "There is nothing to discuss."

The advisor's brows raised in confusion. "You will be needing an heir soon. Surely such a matter would be pressing on your mind."

Killian continued to glare at the man, his shiny, black, lead game piece twirling across his knuckles. "Elyena and I will conceive when her body accepts. It is not a feat of nature that can be forced. When that happens, you will be of the first to know.  Events in our bedchambers are not for discussion."

"Sh-should we have the doctor asses her Majesty's health is optimal for conception?"

"I will inquire about that with my wife," Killian hummed.  "If she agrees, then yes."

The advisor nodded. "May I ask, Your Majesty, what should happen if aforementioned event does not come to pass?"

Killian's eyes had been temporarily averted to the map, but he suddenly looked back up.  His lower jaw stretched a bit, giving him a strange but shrewd, dominant expression. "That depends on how events continue to unfold.  I will not dismiss her or take a mistress if that is what you are implying."

The man across from him, the army's General as marked by the emblem on his breastplate, cleared his throat, nervously looking up at Killian. "Your Majesty, I have chosen to deploy from the southwest. I have good ground here, and I would move through the forest clearings and swamps."

Glancing up at the man, Killian's eyes shimmered with a look of deep contemplation. "What season is it in our scenario?"

Brows wrinkled in confusion, he mumbled, "Spring?"

Killian's mouth twisted into a slight smirk, fighting the urge to let out a single laugh or show a sign of being pleased.  Even with this expression, he wasn't entertained at all.  He strategically placed his own piece down on the map.

"I presume you would use the forests to ambush my ranks as I moved through the plains here, yes?" Killian pushed his pieces to near the center of the map, where a narrow plain was surrounded by trees.