Chapter 44 - Terrace

Chapter 44

Water sloshed as Ely rinsed herself off.  She felt much better bathed.  Relaxed from the extra stress.  The door opened and closed softly followed by Killian's voice.

"My love," he called. 

"In here," she replied, laying back to enjoy the warm water.

Two clunks sounded like Killian removed his boots.  Shortly after, his form leaned in the doorway.  A slight smile tugging at his lips.

"All is well, darling."

A smile tugged at her lips but her eyes closed.  "I am relieved the message was not serious."  Curiosity tugged at Ely to know what the urgent message was about.  If Killian didn't openly share already, she doubted he would answer with details.

"What troubles you?"  Killian asked, stepping over the threshold of the room then sitting on the ledge of the tub.

"No word from my sister," Ely confessed.  "I am fearful we truly have grown into such different people, we have grown apart."

"Give her time," he cooed.  "I see tea has been laid out. Shall we?"

Offering a towel, Ely rose letting Killian wrap the linen around her. Smiling softly, she stepped out, wrang out her hair then slipped her arms through a dressing robe Killian held up. 

The tea was laid out along with a few delicious treats. Ely was pouring Killian's cup by the time he made it to the terrace after he lit a fire inside the room. The fragrance of the chamomile hit Ely's nostrils and she breathed in the aroma deeply, smiling at the familiar scent.

"My aunt and uncle," Ely began, passing Killian his cup.  "Would always take a break mid afternoon to have tea with me.  Sometimes Vanessa chose to join.  It was a family tradition."

Ely giggled at the memories lifting a shortbread cookie to her lips. 

"I enjoy seeing you happy.  Tell me more."

"My Uncle sometimes would not actually have tea," she whispered, leaning forward across the small table. "One time, my Aunt had to go see to a problem leaving me alone there with my Uncle.  He took a long sip and sighed in more enjoyment than one typically would for just tea." Ely paused for effect.  Grinning, she lowered her voice when quoting her Uncle, mimicking his perfect brogue. "He said to me, Ely, 'tis time you learn what a true Irish drinks. Then he held his cup out to me. When I took a sip, I nearly spit the stuff out!"

Killian's rumbled chuckle filled her ears.  Ely laughed so hard a tear fell down her cheek.  The fond memory of the look on her Uncle's face and how much trouble she got into fed her laughter.  Vanessa had overheard and told on Ely to Aunt Elaine.  Laughter settling, Ely took a sip of her tea, leaned back in the chair and gazed out at the private garden.  For a long moment she was lost in treasured memories of the past like that one.  How different life was now.

Killian sniffed the tea to get its aroma, but his brows furrowed, eyes flicking to Elyena.  She smirked realizing he was suspicious of the current contents.  As he should be.  Ely had made Uncle Aedan's special tea for Killian.

"What was in the tea?"

Ely fought back the tears that quickly welled up.  She choked out, "Whiskey."

Giving a forced smile, Ely looked over at Killian and shrugged.  She stood, adjusting then tying the sash of her robe.  The rough action betraying her frustration.  The tears were all too evident of her silent mourning.

She turned back around and walked to the terrace.  She needed air.  Killian had once said he had seen her cry too much.  Ely leaned forward on the stone railing with her back turned to Killian letting the tears fall silently.