Chapter 40 - Strategy

Chapter 40

A few days later, Ely stood in the strategy room with Killian pouring over the map outlining their newest excavation plans.  His league of advisors would arrive soon to approve the newest project.  Standing behind her, both of Killian's hand cupped her waist. His lips hovered on the warm, exposed skin of her neck.

"I have been searching for a better way to tap into Kildare's natural resources," he said.  Warm breath fanned her skin.  "It would help build our strength and discourage any more rebellion. I may know this land, but I do not know it as well as you. If you know of anything that can help."

This was a pivotal moment.  Killian already knew there were quarries.  The people needed the resources inside them.  Revealing the locations would ultimately help the people because Ely had a few other ideas up her sleeve.  The improvements had been going so well.  Killian had been very supportive.  It made Ely more confident that he would be worked with and a violent rebellion was not needed.

Ely felt a wave of peace break through her thoughts as Killian peppered her kisses. She enjoyed how he couldn't stop and found herself not wanting him to either. Along with that, she felt rejuvenated and ready to start any of her next projects Killian was ready to support. She would get Vanessa to help her gather villagers.  Somehow, Ely would combine Vanessa's plans with those Ely was creating with Killian.

"Resources...resources," Ely mumbled out loud, leaning forward holding a T-shaped piece in her fingers.  Several others lined the edge of the map.  Her brows furrowed, tongue poking out the side of her mouth as she placed pieces on the map. "There is iron ore, gold, and possibly silver in these quarries.  Then over here is-," she rose onto her tiptoes, leaning over the map and placed one more,  "-copper!"

All of those were excellent ores for making weapons, tools, or reinforcing buildings.  Gold and iron were the finest minerals for their purposes.  When she indicated copper, Killian gave a smile wrapped his arms around her fully.

"Copper?  There is a copper deposit in Kildare?"

Ely could see he truly was excited. Killian spun her to face him. 

With a squeal, Ely draped her arms over his shoulders.  He squatted briefly then raised her off the floor and spun Ely in a circle.

Though it didn't have the value or strength for armor that bronze had, copper was  a very strong material.  There were hundreds of uses for copper.  From cooking pots to cauldrons, bathtubs to candelabras.  Copper could be used for artillery and even making a new bell for the church.

Ely smiled more at his reaction. She was proving herself an asset for his vision.  That ensured Killian would not toss her aside and she could keep the momentum going.  He placed her back down and kissed her forehead, lingering there for a moment.

"A great improvement for the village would be recruiting men to gather."  Ely paused, raising her eyes to meet his.  Killian's brows rose as he nodded for her to continue.  The dungeons are overflowing with rabble.  It could lower the number of disruptions if some of the healthier prisoners were employed.  As a parole?"

A light hum reverberated against the side of her neck, "That is genius."

"I am glad you agree."  Relief flooded her veins.  She let her hands explore in circles over his tunic clad chest.  "It will be interesting to find out if there are any precious gems in the quarries."

"I am more than eager to explore any possible precious materials."

Killian's smile faded.  Warm hands grazed down the contours of her sides. His body heat seeped through Ely's muscles.