Chapter-9

Since agreeing to finally set the date to marry Noah, he's been in better moods

Since agreeing to finally set the date to marry Noah, he's been in better moods. Even with all the stress he was dealing with when it came to the mysterious office intruder.

A week had passed since his investigation had started and we were still no closer to finding out who was involved.

No one had seen anything according to everyone who worked at the building. They only lead we had was footage from a lobby camera. It showed a person in black pants and a grey hoodie, hood up- covering his head of course. We had no idea what color their hair was, or even what color their skin was. They had kept their hands in their pockets.

We knew that this person knew the building well. Like where the cameras were placed. It was extremely inconvenient.

Noah had hired the best people he knew to 'interview' every employee about the incident. From the information collected, Noah's detective was able to come to the conclusion that everyone was being truthful- to a point.

This man had been trained in all areas of deception. He had been in the special forces for 35 years. I wasn't exactly given a straight answer as to what he had been involved in, in the past but it didn't matter. I trusted that Noah trusted him.

Even though I knew I was safe, being home alone while Noah was at work made me nervous. I know that he had hired security but it wasn't the same as having him here with me. He made me feel safe no matter what. I didn't get the same feeling from strangers. Even if it was their job to keep people safe.

It felt like the time when I first came here and was alone in the house. Matilda was here a lot but most of the time I was alone. I had definitely taken for granted how easy things were back then. Even if we were hiding a huge secret. Even if we had different kinds of worries to deal with.

Growing up was hard. Growing up with Noah by my side made it harder in some ways but I wouldn't have it any other way. And to be completely honest, I really didn't know if I would have enjoyed growing up as much as I have without him. I had an ally in this world. Someone on my side forever and always.

"Harper, there's pizza, you hungry?" Wow, one of the security guys actually wanted to talk to me. Noah had given them strict orders not to- oh my God. Noah had told me they weren't to talk to me unless absolutely necessary. Pizza wasn't necessary. (I know I'm gonna get shít for saying that.)

"U-uhm, I'm not hungry but thanks." I looked up from the book I was reading in the library to the cracked door.

"Are you sure? Did you eat?" This didn't feel right. I quickly pulled out my phone and went into contacts, pressing Noah's name.

"Yes. Go eat, enjoy yourself." With that I was placing the book down, getting onto the floor and crawling under the desk.

Pickup, pickup, pickup.