Chapter 11- The Aftermath

Thomas wasn't sure how much time had passed really. Seconds blurred into minutes, minutes to hours, hours to days.

All he knew was he had been away from Alex for more than five minutes, and that was a problem.

He was hardly aware of John sitting in his lap, arms wrapping around him. Hardly aware of his own arms, rubbing John's back. Hardly aware of the whole group, Samuel and someone else included.

"Pegs.." He asked, hardly aware of his craked and worn voice, "What's the... time? Date? How long have we been here?"

Peggy sighed, upset he didn't even know. "We've been here about twenty-one hours..."

"And have the doctors said anything..?" He was almost scared of the answer.

"Alex is out of surgery... still out... um, they said-" Peggy couldn't finish, so Angelica cut in.

"They said, Alex may out for a while. He's malnourished and pretty beaten. They told us to go home about six times now.. we said no."

Thomas nodded, not truely processing the information. He rubbed circles into John's back.

He hating waiting.

He had many younger siblings. He had always had to wait on them. Siblings were always slow.

Waiting for someone to get better was awful as well. His younger brother had once gotten sick- very badly. Waiting for him to get better- unable to do anything, was awful.

This was worse.

_____/\_____/\____/\_____/\_____/\____/\____

John had failed.

He had just wanted to get Alexander back home safely.

And he failed.

Thomas and Peggy were talking.
He didn't care.

Angelica cut in.
He didn't care.

Thomas tried to comfort him.
He didn't care and he damn sure didn't deserve it.

He had failed Alexander.

When did he become such a failure?

He had always been something in his family. Best at sports, maybe, or his parents' little artist. (Not that his parents loved him more than his siblings). He wasn't used to failing like this.

The one thing he had hoped against hope he would succeed at.

As a kid, whether he failed or succeeded never mattered because he had his parents' never ending love. Even when he came out, he knew they would love him.

And they did. ((YAY SUPPORTIVE HENRY!!))

But this- this he had cared about succeeding. This time had been different.

Alexander. He had gotten hurt. It was all John's fault.

How had he failed like this?

_____/\____/\___/\___/\___/\___/\___/\___/\__

George Washington felt guilty.

He had taken his eyes off the one guy that was a serious threat.

Why?

Because he had wanted to be the "hero". Because he, of course, had to lead the employees to safety.

WHEN FIVE OTHER OFFICERS  HAD OFFERED TO DO THE SAME WHILE HE GOT ALEXANDER.

What kind of cop was he!?

That blood was indirectly on his hands. His hands.