Amber

Scientific Makeup: Amber is not a true stone. It is fossilized resin of coniferous trees of the Oligoncenegeological epoch, some thirty million years ago. Though some variations are red, most range from a pale yellow to a dark brown. Also known as succinite, amber is known for having insects, small animals, and plants fossilized inside. Hardness of 2-2 1/2.

Environment: The resin came from trees growing in the Baltic, and when the resin had hardened, were washed through the Baltic to what is now central and south-eastern Sweden.

Found in: The most prolific source is found on the Baltic coast. There are small deposits have been found in the Dominican Republic.

Name: Arabic. The ancient Greeks called amber "electron". "Succinite" is Latin, derived from the word "succus", which means "juice".

Magick and Legend: Often thought to contain the "essence of life" because of the fossilized creatures held within. First discovered to have "electrical powers" by the Greeks, when rubbed with silk, it would attract dust and ashes. A favorite and protective stone among Wiccans and Shamans. Has always been associated with magick, dating back to B.C. history. A sensual stone, warm to touch, and said to attract love. Good solar plexus stone. Represents energy from the son.

Healing: In ancient times, amber was burned to cleanse a room, especially during and after childbirth. Legend has it that when gazed into, amber sharpens one's eyesight.

Note(s): Ambergis, made in a perfumery, is not related to amber in any way. While it gives a pleasant odor, eco-friendly individuals may want to stay away from burning it, as it is not a renewable substance.