Hematite

Scientific Makeup: A steel-grey, red, reddish brown, or black iron oxide. Cherry or blood red streak. Hardness between 5 - 6.

Environment: Sedimentary origin. Also formed in indigenous and metamorphic rock. Occurs with biotite, albite, and barite in carbonatites. Occurs with diopside and epidote in hornfels of contact and regional metamorphic rocks. Occurs with quartz and siderite in mesothermal and epithermal veins. Occurs with fluorite, barite, and calcite in lode and disseminated replacement deposits.

Found in: Michigan, Minnesota, and Aztec Peak and Bouse, Arizona.

Name: Greek. Derived from the word "haimatites", meaning bloodlike.

Magick and Legend: Azchalias asserted that, when used as a talisman, procured for the wearer a favorable hearing of petitions addressed to kings and a fortunate issue of lawsuits and judgements. Long been associated with psychic awareness. Believed to assist in astral travel.

Healing: Used by Galen for inflamed eyelids and headaches, and by Pliny for blood disorders. Egyptians valued it as a cure for hysteria. Blood purifier. Helps one concentrate on the here and now. Believed by Shamans to be able to draw a spirit causing an illness out of an individual.