Chapter 34

Ethan and I were sitting in my now completed tree house. He was leaning against the wall and I was snuggled basically on top of him with my head on his chest trying to hide from the world. It was a surprisingly warmer day for a winter in Rhode Island. It had been in the sixties today and Ethan and I had decided to finally see if my treehouse was functional.

John has been true to his word and we had finally finished the tree house over winter break. School was to resume on Monday and my winter break had been a mix of promised cuddles with Ethan, working at the diner, slowly moving my stuff to the apartment, and working on the tree house.

John thought it would be good for me, as he fed me life skills information like doing my taxes and paying bills. He thought it would give me a different focus. John was extremely nervous of me leaving and he had made it very obvious. Every time it was brought up he had to reassure me I would be fine but I think he was just reassuring himself.

Most of the kids had accepted it and were happy for me, and Monica had been very excited to watch me start a new part of my life. I think she was more worried about letting me use a hammer on the tree house than anything else. The only person who I couldn't understand was Jess. There were times where like Monica, she was excited to see me grow up. But when she thought I wasn't looking I would catch her face filled with sadness, I think it hurt her that I stopped asking her for help and went to Ethan or Chloe more.

I didn't intend to hurt Jess, however I hated talking to her because it made me sad about what was yet to come: our goodbye. Not forever but for awhile. It was hard to admit but I had become very reliant on Jess and as much as it sucked. I had to grow up.

Even I had to admit that I had changed a lot in the past couple of weeks. I worked at the diner, math was starting to partially make sense, I had met with a new financial advisor, and Ethan I, well let's just say we were thriving. True to my word, we had snuggled for much of the break and at night we would sneak off to either my apartment or his house. Jess and Monica, if they knew, hadn't stopped me.

Ethan looked down at me and smiled. I smiled back and let him kiss me. Ethan was the only thing in my life right now that was a peaceful continuity from my transition to the apartment.

"Can I give you your birthday gift now?" he asked when we parted.

I rolled my eyes and looked up at him.

"How could you possibly-"

"Know when my girlfriend's birthday is?" he asked, cutting me off. "Come on what kind of boyfriend would I be if I couldn't spout out every fact about you?" He said smiling down on me.

I looked away and blushed. He used his finger to lift my face so I was looking at him again.

"Happy eighteenth," he whispered.

I got up and sat in front of him and he took something out of his pocket.

"Close your eyes," he said.

I couldn't help but smile as I shut my eyes.

"Okay you can look," he said.

I opened my eyes and my heart practically stopped.

"Ethan, it's beautiful," I said.

He grinned. "What can I say? I told you I knew you well."

I picked up the necklace and admired it. It was a small silver crown with diamonds on the top. It was so pretty my heart was actually melting. There was a K in the center.

"For King," he said, noticing my thumb slide over the letter. "So change the meaning of your tattoo because now it officially represents the best boyfriend ever."