Chapter 19

"Leah?" Jess called.

I went over to where she and John were sitting.

"My niece is here and I'd like you to meet her, but first John wants to talk," she explained.

"I heard you were upset about soccer," John said.

"You told him?" I said angrily to Jess. "You promised."

"I didn't," Jess protested. "Only that you didn't want to play soccer."

"What will it take Leah?" John asked. "You have to play, they won't let you stay in school otherwise," he said pleading with me.

"Do I have to go to school?" I asked.

"Yes, Leah," they both said at the same time.

"I don't want to," I whined.

"Soccer or school?"

"Both. I quit soccer and only took two classes this year because they both suck," I said, groaning.

"Leah, I understand how you feel, but you have to push yourself," he said. "Don't you want a better life?"

"It's just so hard," I mumbled.

"You have to try. Come on, I want to show you something," John said, getting up.

Jess gave me a look and I groaned before following John outside.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

He didn't answer. I just followed him for about five minutes into the woods behind the house. Finally, he stopped in front of a tree.

"Do you remember when you were eight and you convinced yourself you were a fairy?" he asked. "You begged and begged for Monica and Jessica to get you a treehouse because you were convinced fairies living in the woods."

"I remember," I said softly.

"You did all the chores in the house for weeks to save up enough money for one," he said. "All so you could finally buy supplies for a treehouse. Remember what happened next?" John asked.

I sighed. "You, Monica, and I started to work on it, but we never finished it."

"Any guesses why?" he asked.

I thought about it, but nothing came to mind. "I don't remember," I said finally.

"It got hard," he answered. "You didn't like working in the woods, Monica wouldn't let you touch the hammer for some reason," I smiled to myself at that. "And most importantly, you didn't like how much work it was," he said.

"What can I say, John? I'm lazy."

"No you're not. You just need someone to push you," he said. "And I'm sorry if I wasn't doing that enough before, but you are finishing high school, you are taking hard classes, you will go to college, and you will finish this treehouse," he said firmly.

I didn't know what to say, I was shocked. He believed in me. I went over and hugged him, he seemed surprised, but he hugged me back.

"Thank you," I said softly.

"My pleasure, Leah."

We walked back inside while John explained to me my new study plan and extracurriculars. I nodded and promised to text him with updates. He left shortly after and I walked into the kitchen where Monica called me over to the table.

I awkwardly walked over and sat down at the table. I recognized the girl sitting next to me. Kind of. She looked like Jess and Monica's niece, Chloe. However, she had changed a bit. Half her piercings were missing and her face looked different. She was smiling for once. As far as air recalled she had always been a bit angry looking. There was also a boy sitting next to her.