Chapter 30

Edward's pov

Castor and I sat relaxed, each with his own thoughts. I was congratulating myself on a job well done. Our plan worked perfectly. Finally Alina has entered the palace. First stage complete. I smiled at myself. Even if I couldn't be happy, I'd do anything to ensure Alina's happiness. She was like the sister I had lost. She had become an important part of my life in the short period we met. She filled the hole left in my heart when Melissa died. She has gone through a lot and deserves to be happy. I was about asking Castor what our next move was when a servant came in saying a royal guard was waiting for me outside. I was feeling a bit lazy so my movements were sluggish. I stood up from my seat and went outside. What the hell is wrong again? I'm in need of some good news to add to this. On getting there,  he bowed and I waved it off willing him to quickly deliver the message and leave so I can get back to my wine, I thought l.
"His majesty requests your presence at the palace immediately. He said its an emergency and there should be no delay" He delivered his message and left. What the hell happened to make William summon me immediately?What could be wrong?
Castor came out to asked me
"what's going on?"
  I didn't reply him. Not because I didn't want to but before I didn't know the answer. He studied my face and without questions went to saddle his horse. Without wasting time, both of us set out for the palace. On getting there, we met William outside in full battle regalia. That's odd. Was there a war I didn't know about? He looked up from buckling his armour, He saw us and beckoned us over.
"We have few minutes to spare. Get into your armour. A village was attacked. I sent a few scouts over. Only one returned alive. He said the attackers are still there refusing to leave and claim to want to speak to the king. I'm going there myself to see what the hell she wants to say"
I stared at him completely in disapproval. I don't think it's a good idea for him to listen to go there. Who knows what trap Alice has set? I looked over at Castor putting on his armour but he looked and met my eyes. I could see he shared the same  thoughts with me. I voiced out my thoughts.
"I don't think you should go. It might be a trap"
William looked up at me and nodded.
"I thought about that but remember Alina put a protection spell on us. If it comes to magic, I'm safe. And if it comes to war, I can handle it"
I nodded agreeing with him. Then something crossed my mind.
"Does Alina know?"
He shook his head saying no.
"You'll be in trouble when she finds out you went to confront Alice without telling her"
He simply shrugged at me and mounted his horse. Castor and I mounted our horses too and rode behind him while the rest of the soldiers rode behind us.

*  *  *  *  *

Edward's pov

I looked around for any sign of danger or surprise attack as we were approaching the border. When we got there, we halted and looked around but didn't see anyone. The place was empty. I sighted a small flag shoved to the ground. I dismounted and went to pick it up. I brought it back for the rest of the guys to see. There was something written on it.

"Epistrépste ó, ti aníkei se ména í tha káno cheiróteri apó aftí tin epómeni forá"

William read the message out.
No one said anything. Each with his own thoughts. We waited for a while. Suddenly we heard the sound of the hooves of horses signifying riders were approaching. We looked around and saw some people riding towards us. From this distance, I could see it was a group of soldiers led by a woman. But I couldn't see her face.  The only thing I could make out was her dark hair, unlike Alice's red hair. No sign of Alice anywhere. What game is Alice playing? I looked at William and Castor and I could tell they were a little apprehensive.
When they came closer, they all dismounted. I looked at the woman who accompanied them intently. She looked very familiar. I kept looking at her trying to place where I saw her then a childhood memory flashed into my mind. I had a memory flash of a teenager chasing the little version of me around. I gasped out finally remembering. I couldn't believe it. No, it's not possible. It couldn't be. No, she's dead. I felt a hand on my shoulder and turned to see Castor looked at me worried. I was still in shock. I called out.
  "Melissa!"

Remember Melissa? Click on the star button please