Chapter 40

Princess Elena's pov

"Elena I need your help"
I struggled to school my features into a blank look. I didn't want William to notice the pain and despair in my eyes. Because I know if he notices it, he'll definitely force me to tell him what the problem is. And that's something I didn't want to do. It felt too personal, too intimate to involve a third party. I gestured for William to take a seat. I couldn't understand what could be so important that will warrant the big bad king to be nervous and ask for the lowly princess's help. I chuckled at that
Lowly princess indeed. William arched a brow at me silently wondering why I was chuckling. I just shrugged it off.
"So William, what do you need my help for?" I asked eager to get this over and done with so I could go back to being miserable. I noticed he was sweating along his hair line, he bit his lower lip constantly and wriggle his fingers. All symptoms of him being nervous. Hmm this is serious. I watched him take a deep breath and huff out. "Oh this is embarrassing"
I arched a brow letting him know he still hasn't told me anything. He grimaced and said
"I need your help with Alina"
I gaped at him surprised. Of course! Why did I not see it before? William is in love with Alina. That's why he suggested we come up with an idea to help us escape the betrothal. I cleared my throat and asked
"What exactly do you need my help to do with Alina?" I already knew what he wanted. An idiot could tell but I wanted him to say it out. He took a deep breath and blurted out.
"I need your help to court Alina"
I beamed at him happy he was following his heart unlike the idiot I spoke to this morning in the name of Edward. Eager to be useful, I leaned forward on my elbow saying
"Alright this is what we are going to do - - - -"

* * * * *

William's pov

I sat with Edward to share my idea with him.
"I think it's time we attack" I said
Edward looked confused and asked
"Attack?" I rolled my eyes at him and clarified
"Alice has always been the one to attack and we do nothing about it. Now that Alina has placed a spell on the borders preventing anyone was black magic from entering, I think it's time we strike first"
He looked skeptical but nodded at me and asked "Alright. So what do you have in mind?"
I thought about it for a minute and said. "We attack one of the kingdoms loyal to Alice"
I could see the idea rolling in his head and I knew he was in support of it. But he warned as usual.
"You know doing that will provoke Alice" Typical Edward. Always cautious. I rolled my eyes at him and replied "Yeah I know but we can't just sit by and wait for her next attack"
Edward released the breath he has been holding in a huff.
"Alright then, so when do we leave?" I smiled at him saying "Let's tell the others first so we can choose the kingdom we'll attack and plan our battle strategy"
Edward offered to go the others while I took out the regional map and speed it on the table awaiting the others.

* * * * *

Alina's pov

I sat on the bed in Elena's bed chambers. Elena was teaching me a style of dance practiced in her kingdom and I was doubled over laughing. She looks so ridiculous hopping from one foot to the other with her hands raised high. We both turned to the door at the sound of a knock. Elena went to the door while I rearranged my skirts to cover my laps. She came back with Edward who made a show of ignoring Elena and told me.
"King William needs you at the throne room"
I noticed he refused to look at Elena or acknowledge her presence. Elena looked sad and heartbroken. Though Elena didn't tell me what happened between them but I could tell that whatever it was, wasn't good. I made a mental note to ask Edward about it as I followed him to the throne room. When we got there, we saw Castor and William leaning over a map. William looked up and met my eyes. The smile he sent my way was so dazzling I felt it in my heart. I beamed at William and cuffed Castor on the head as a form of greeting. He scowled at me rubbing his throbbing head pretending he was going to faint from the pains. I rolled my eyes at his silliness.
"Good, you guys are here. Where do you think we should attack?" William said. I turned to Edward not quite understanding what he was saying. Edward filled me in on the plan.
"William thinks we should not wait for Alice to attack and we should attack first. We are trying to decide where to attack"
I leaned over the map, standing opposite William, studying it. I notice William's gaze on my cleavage but I ignored it and focused on the map.
I pointed to a large area on the map
"Where is this?" I asked William. He tore his gaze frommy cleavage and answered.
"That's the kingdom of Opena. They are Alice's main alliance. A large portion of Alice's warriors come from there" I looked at Castor and Edward and saw they were also studying that area. I made a decision.
"Then I think we should attack there. If we are going to attack Alice, we might as well attack where it'll hurt the most." William smiled at me with pride in his eyes. I didn't understand what he was proud about. Besides my tutors trained me on war tactics so I knew what to do.
"Alright then, it's settled. Tomorrow morning, we will attack Opena and destroy them"

Wow, longest chapter ever. What do you think?