Chapter One

Kasumi got up. She got out of bed and made it. She went to the bathroom and sighed. She took a shower and changed and looked in the mirror. The scars were more visible than ever. Luckily, she knew how to use makeup and applied it all over her face. Mother would kill her if she saw those scars.

She stared at the tattoo in disgust. Why an apple?

She went downstairs and to the kitchen to make breakfast for the family. It was the daily routine. She was basically a slave.

"Don't burn the eggs." Her mother came into the kitchen.

"What ugly clothes." Her sister walked in. Misaki was fourteen. She had brown hair and eyes and always wore revealing clothes.

"Do it again!" Her father stormed up to her and seized the pan. He slid the burnt eggs to Kasumi's plate and dropped the pan in front of Kasumi.

She sighed.

"I'm sorry, what was that?" Father forced her to look at him.

"Nothing."

"Sir."

"Nothing, sir."

She finished cooking and went back to her room, not bothering to eat the burned eggs. She'll just go eat breakfast at Harper's place.

She grabbed her torn backpack from the corner and walked out of the room. She walked down the corridor to the portrait of Salazar Slytherin, her ancestor. One of the founders of Hogwarts.

Why wasn't she as great as him? Why wasn't she as smart? Or talented? How did she of all people get accepted into his school, and her sister didn't?

She opened the portrait to reveal a passageway. She went in and closed the portrait behind her.

Maybe he doesn't care about Misaki. Maybe he actually hates everyone in the family, but me? Kasumi thought. That's impossible! She chided herself. Why would he like me?

Maybe because you're special. Said a voice. Kasumi stopped and looked around. There was no one. Just a voice...

Kasumi went up the ladder and opened the trapdoor to outside the Mizuchi Estate. She was in the forest behind the mansion. She walked along the stone wall for what seemed to be a whole hour until she reached the backyard of Harper's house. She climbed up, grabbing onto the holes in the wall and pulling herself up. She climbed over and jumped down.

"Harper!" She yelled. "I'm here!"

The back door slid open and Harper stumbled out. She was smiling widely, a spatula in her hand. Her short red hair was split into pigtails and a butterfly hair clip was clipped to one rubber band. How modern.

"Yay! You're here early! Come in! Gramps and I are making pancakes!" She pulled Kasumi's arm and dragged her in.

The smell of pancake batter filled the house. Dumbledore was seen in the kitchen, humming.

"Hello, Dumbledore, sir."

"Oh, hello, Kasumi! Did you go through the back again?"

"Yes," said Kasumi, sitting at the table.

"You should start entering through the front, y'know," said Harper.

"I know, but——"

"Oh! But it's so less dramatic!" Harper said, fanning herself with the spatula. "The front door is the most common——"

"Harper——"

"——entrance! Not to mention——"

"Harper——"