Chapter Eleven

Kasumi was given permission to go out of the Estate the day before term started. However, Rich, one of the servants, was told to accompany her and drive her around. Kasumi sighed at the thought, but she didn't do or say anything. She already knew there was nothing she could do about it, so she asked Rich to take them to Diagon Alley.

The two of them arrived and Kasumi looked down the alley way. The place was bustling with people walking up and down the path and in and out of stores. Some carried bags, while others carried babies. People sat on benches, watching their toddler and talking to the other person.

Kasumi walked around, carrying her backpack with her. Rich trailed behind, staying silent.

She reached an opening where kids played together in the snow; snowmen and snow angels were made. Farther away, she could see a big lump of snow and someone jumping into it. Cheers erupted. She snapped her head to the group and saw Max and the other parkourists.

She felt relief wash over her; she didn't have to spend the awkward day alone with Rich.

She walked quickly over to them and tapped Max's shoulder. He spun around and smiled as he faced her.

"Kasumi, hey! I thought you weren't allowed to come out?"

She gestured to Rich behind her. "He's chaperoning, I suppose."

"Well, the others and I are just piling snow together so we can jump into it."

"I noticed."

"Would you care to join us?" Benj asked, jumping up from behind Max.

Kasumi turned to Rich. She looked to him for approval. Rich didn't say anything; he only nodded. Kasumi fished around in her backpack and brought out money. She handed Rich the wad of cash.

"Get yourself anything you wish——don't tell my mother, please." She said quietly.

Rich looked at the wad of cash in disbelief. He nodded slowly before walking away and heading into shops.

She turned back to Max, who said, "That's a lot of money..."

Kasumi shrugged. "So, you guys just jump into the snow?"

"Basically..." Max said. "We do flips into it."

He gestured to Calvin who stood with his back to the pile of snow. He bent his knees before springing up to do a backflip.

Kasumi clapped. "I could never do that..."

"It's easy once you practice. You'll remember it like riding a bike or ice skating."

"Speaking of ice skating," Benj popped up again. "We planned on going to the frozen river to skate. Wanna join us there?"

Kasumi nodded. "Sounds fun, but I never learned to ice skate either..."

"Well, while I can't show you how to do backflips or whatever, I can teach you to ice skate. So, how about you? Join us?"

Kasumi looked around. Rich wasn't going to be back in a while, she knew it.

She turned back to Max and her lips curved up into a genuine smile. "Sure."

He went pink. She had never smiled in front of him——she hadn't smile in front of anybody with the exception of Harper, maybe. It complimented her so well.

"Woah... you should smile more often, y'know?"

Kasumi blushed and turned away. "Thanks... I guess..."

"She said sure!" Benj yelled to the others, interrupting their little moment. The others cheered.

"Why are you all celebrating me saying yes as though I said yes to a proposal?"