Chapter Eight

As Christmas holiday gets closer, Kasumi had gotten a big large envelope from her parents that included invitations and a letter written from Misaki.

Okay, listen here, you bitch. Mum told me to write this to you. She says that you need to hand all of these out to the kids in the school. Every. Single. Student. It's for the celebration for releasing the new television, if you didn't know.

Mum and Dad already went out, giving invitations to everyone in the city, but not the parents or families of those who attend Hogwarts. Mum believes that you need some work to do, so give the invitations out.

Just do what you're told.

- Misaki

Of course she was forced to give out invitations. Kasumi sighed and grabbed the envelope full of invitations. She left the room, and began sliding invitations under doors.

"Hey, Kasumi... what are you doing?" Max walked up to her.

"Handing out invitations," she sighed. She handed one to Max. "My mother is making me do so..."

"I'm——I'm invited?" Max looked at her in disbelief.

"Everyone in the entire town is invited." Kasumi said miserably. "It's a masquerade type ball and celebration... it's just... unnecessary."

"What are you going to wear?"

"I have to wear some black and white dress. And a stupid mask."

"Well——I don't think you'll look bad..."

"You haven't see the dress yet."

"Kasumi..." Max said as they walked by doors, sliding invitations under. "Why do you have to be like that?"

"Like what?"

"I don't know..." he shrugged. "So... self deprecating. As though you've got low self esteem."

Kasumi said nothing.

"If something's bothering you, then talk to me about it."

"It's nothing." Kasumi said.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, I'm sure."

"Okay... Just talk to me when something's wrong." Max said.

"I will."

"Max!" Calvin yelled. "Where have you been?"

He was standing at the end of the hallway with the others.

"Guys... I've only been gone for a few minutes..."

"Time is ticking! Let's go!" Daniel said.

"Stop talking to your little girlfriend over there and get over here!" David yelled.

"Not his girlfriend!" Kasumi yelled back.

"Not yet, but soon!" Joshua said.

She rolled her eyes. "You best be going with them."

"Yeah, I know." He turned to her. "See you at your ball?"

"Maybe. If you can recognize me."

"Ha."

He waved goodbye and walked off to join them.

Kasumi walked through the hallways and went upstairs to slide the invitations under doors.

Holiday had begun and Kasumi was one of the people going home. She didn't get on the same bus as any of her friends, so she sat alone, waiting for the bus to reach the Estate. She sat, silently watching the houses go by.