Chapter Ten

Hermione woke up on Christmas Eve. Harper wasn't there——Harper said she was going to come back to Hogwarts on Christmas. Hermione got up out of bed and began writing a letter to her parents. Once she was finished she slipped it into an envelope and sealed it.

She changed and left the room and walked over to Harry and Ron's dorm, which was only a door away.

She knocked and when there was no answer, she scoffed, opening the door quietly. The boys were still asleep and on Christmas Day as well! She walked to the window and opened the curtains.

As the light from the sun shone in, the boys began waking up. Ron groaned and hid under the covers.

"Hermione——close that bloody curtain."

"It's Christmas Eve! Shouldn't you two be up already?"

"It's not Christmas day, so no," Ron said. "There are no presents to open."

Hermione rolled her eyes. "Get up, you two."

The boys protested weakly before getting up out of bed. Hermione waited outside for them to change. Harry and Ron came out of the room and the three of them went to the Great Hall for breakfast.

Not many people were there. Fred and George and Percy stayed as well while their parents and Ginny went to Romania to visit the second oldest child, Charlie Weasley.

"You guys want to do some exploring?" Fred asked quietly to them.

"No," Hermione said at once. "We can not get into more trouble for sneaking around. Again."

"Exploring where?" Ron asked anyways. Hermione rolled her eyes.

"The basement of Hogwarts," George answered.

"No," Hermione said immediately. "Professor Dumbledore told us specifically not to go there! He's said there's junk in there that could fall on us and kill us!"

"Come on, Hermione!" Ron said. "Live a little!"

Hermione looked from Harry to Ron to Fred and George. She sighed in exasperation. "Fine! Only because Harper isn't here for me to talk to!"

"I'm pretty sure Harper would've joined us, Hermione," Fred said.

Hermione turned red. "You don't know that!"

The five of them went to breakfast first before heading to the entrance to the basement. Hermione gripped the doorknob and tried to turn it.

"The door's locked," Hermione said. "Now, we can't go in there even if you four wanted to."

"And that's where you're wrong, Hermione," George grinned. He held up paper clips.

He stuck them into the keyhole and jiggled them back and forth until he heard a click.

"Ha!" He said triumphantly as he took the tools out and stuffed them into his pocket. Fred opened the door and they looked down the stairs. They couldn't see the bottom it.

"Oh, great. Does anyone have a flashlight?" Hermione said weakly.

"We do," Fred said, pulling two flashlights out of nowhere. He handed one to George and they turned it on. They descended the steps. The Golden Trio followed after them.

Once they reached the bottom, they found boxes and broken desks that were no longer in use. Harry and Ron felt around the wall for any light switch. Harry felt one and switched it on. Lights flickered and came to life, lighting the room.

"Woah..." Fred said, turning off his flashlight. He walked over to a dusty cork board leaning against a table. He placed it onto the desk and looked at what was pinned on it.