The Tournament

Selenity sighed as her father made his announcement to the entire lunar world. He would be holding a tournament in which participants would be competing to have her hand in marriage. She hated being the primary motivation for such things, but her father was insistent on marrying her off. She preferred fighting men rather than marrying them. Unfortunately, in a way, he also guilt-tripped her into doing this because his health, as she recently discovered, was failing him and he didn’t have long.

“I just want you to be well provided for.” He said.

So the king claimed. While he dearly loved his daughter, he preferred to have a man in power. The lunarian race had always been ruled by men for the last millennia and Selenity wished to change it but she kept her mouth shut for the sake of her ailing father. She loved her father, in spite of his flaws. However, there was someone that she wished to silence and he, too, was participating in this tournament.

Solaris, king of the sun, was a constant visitor to the moon. The lunar king often welcomed him since it was clear that he visited in order to see Selenity. As handsome as the man was with his blonde hair and his tanned, muscular body, Solaris was just not her type. He was rude, demanding and rather arrogant. There were times that he had dared to put his hands on her in front of her father, but he didn’t do a thing about it. However, the times he put his hands on her when they were alone gave her the opportunity to beat some manners into him. Her father berated her for it, of course, but she didn't care. Solaris deserved to be taught some manners. The young woman never allowed a man, no matter who they were, to touch her body in such a manner. Over the course of the tournament, though, her point of view would change.

“Selenity, step forward and show your lovely face to the participants.”

The silver-haired maiden stepped out onto the balcony her father stood on and she kept her face blank as a roar of excitement and cheers filled the cool, crisp air. She gazed at the many participants, who gazed back at her with wanton lust on their faces. All of them were from all parts of the universe. Most of them hailed from the planet Mars, but there was a good portion from Mercury and Saturn. However, there were two men that caught her attention. They both had an attractive shade of green eyes and, like most of the participants, they both had a well-built figure. Their skin was a light shade of tan. It was nothing like Solaris’ skin, but she liked it. She wondered where these men (who were clearly brothers) hailed from.

“We do have participants from Earth, dear,” the king suddenly said. “But I hear Earth creatures are quite frail and weak.”

Selenity tuned her father out after that sentence. Her mother, the late queen of the moon, had taught her never to judge before she knew all the facts. These humans, however, seemed to exude some kind of inner strength that everyone clearly overlooked. Deep inside her, she felt like one of these two men would win the entire tournament. She couldn’t help wonder if they were proficient in swordsmanship. A small smile crossed her face. If they were good in swordsmanship, she would challenge one, or maybe both, to a sword fight. It had been ages since she had a good battle.

“As a bonus,” the king announced. “The winner will have the chance to face the princess in hand-to-hand combat.”

“Do you mean that, father?” The warrior princess asked astonished.

The king smiled at her and nodded. He thoroughly enjoyed watching his daughter fight and just seeing her astonished face pleased him very much. Watching her fight was very much like watching an elegant dance. She was quick and light on her feet, so it didn't take much for her to put on a show. This was one pleasure that he would not deny her. Selenity’s blue eyes lit up happily and hugged her father tightly.