Chapter Six

Well she would get him back for that cheek. She was thinking of all the things she could do to pay him back for scaring her and using it to his advantage when one strong muscled arm wound back around her waist. “Eveliina meet the waterfall rogues.”

“Very pleased to meet you Eveliina, my name is Lauri.”

                The man infront of Tim bowed ever so slightly to her and the glisten in his eye was something she had seen before. No wolf bowed to another unless of high statue. She narrow her eyes at him, about to question his motive for that little gesture but as Tim was looking the other way, greeting someone else, Lauri put a finger to his mouth. She took the hint and stayed silent.

“Tim, you’re early. You know food won’t be ready.”

“I’m not only here for food.” Clipping Brendon lightly across the head Tim shook his head in mock exasperation. The kid laughed.

“What you here so early for then?”

“You wanted to see my mate. Here she is.”

                The young man was suddenly bouncing. “Another female, cool, Suzie and Rebekah will be happy, now they won’t torment me so much. Hi, I’m Brendon.”

“Eveliina,”

“Please to meet you. Come on, follow me, I’ll show you some of the others.” Tim had no say in the matter and Eveliina allowed herself to be carried off despite the fact that Brendon never asked Tim for permission and simply took his mate away. Stunned at the fact he been made mateless in such an easy manner he turned to Lauri who was laughing quietly.

“Best keep an eye on that one,”

“I intended to.”

                Sniggers burst out around Tim and he noticed then that he had an audience. “Hello.” He nodded to them all. A chorus of ‘hello’ greeted him. “Lauri,” He lowered his voice, letting the man know he wanted privacy.

“Come to my rock,” The man said.

“My boss was killed today, while I was in the building.” Tim started as soon as they were sat in privacy.

“What?”

“I was under a car and I smelt something funny. Getting up I noticed it was too quiet for my boss. I went to the office and found him dead.”

“What did you do with him?”

“Took him deep into the forest and buried him, cleaned the office and phoned the police to say he went missing after he left for lunch.”

“Good damage control. Bad situation.”

“I didn’t hear a thing, that’s bad Lauri. I should have been more alert. I use my human job as a means of acting human. Of finding space and solace, I know now I can’t do that. I need to be on guard at all times. I failed.”

“You can’t think like that. You need a reprieve from all the good you do Tim. You need a break at some point; you will only wear yourself down if you don’t. You can’t see this as a failure - just learn from it.”

“My boss died because I wasn’t prepared. I foolishly thought they would not harm my human connections. I did not think they would use them against me and I was arrogant enough to think that I would be able to protect them if it did come down to that. I lay on my back fixing a car and whistled while my boss was being murdered!”

                Lauri looked at Tim for a second, he was red in the face, it was evident he had kept this emotion in for a while as he saw to the needs of his mate and he needed to get out his own self anger.