Where to Now?

The sky was now pitch black, with little stars twinkling in the sky. The soldiers split up into groups and tried to find the nearest German base. Nothing was found for miles, just small towns with only women and children, no older boys or fathers. They were all off to war. 

When they entered the villages or small towns, most of the women and children would run away, into their homes and lock the door. Some of the women were out in the fields, late at night. 

"Where to now?" asked Ernst as they walked around the town. 

"I'm not sure. We might stay here for a while until we can get a unit to pick us up."

A woman walked over to Albert and kissed him on the lips, she did that to each of the German soldiers as they walked passed her. Albert froze in the position when the young woman kissed him, wondering what just happened. 

"Woah........." Albert said as his eyes widened and shook his head. 

"She didn't do it to me." Wilhelm said with a smile. "Maybe because I'm old."

The men laughed as they continued to walk through the town until they reached a bar. The old wooden doors were wide open with an elderly man behind a table with high chairs. Albert walked up to the man that was behind the counter and put a couple of coins on the table he had in his right breast pocket. 

"One beer, sir." Albert said as he pushed the coins closer to the man. 

He nodded and grabbed a glass that hung by hooks from the ceiling. Albert leaned on the table and looked around the bar until his eyes stopped. There was a young woman that was about his age that stared at him, smiled and fluttered her eyelashes at him. Albert quickly looked away from her and looked back at the man that was getting his beer. He smoothed the top of it and handed it to Albert.

"Danke." Albert said. 

"Albert!" yelled Wilhelm who was on the other side of the bar. "Come in here!"

Albert quickly walked to Wilhelm, trying to avoid the girl. He heard a chair rub against the floor from where the woman was sitting. Albert walked faster until he reached the doorway of a game room that was filled with pool tables. Ernst and Wilhelm were already busy playing a game of pool. 

"Come join us, Albert." Ernst said.

He smiled and put his beer on the table that was right next to the door. He was about to grab a pool ball that was at the end of the table to put it back in the middle of the table until there was a hand put on his shoulder. The red nail polish glimmered in the light of the room. Albert stopped what he was doing and looked at the woman that was standing behind him. She smiled as his eyes met hers.

"Please, I'm not interested." Albert said, knowing she did not know what he said. "Please!"

Albert put his hand on hers and brushed her hand off of his shoulder. Albert turned around to look at her again. She slowly stepped towards the doorway. She had frowned on what Albert had said to her. He continued to look at her until she was out of the doorway. He slowly walked over to the table to grab his beer again and took a sip of it.

"Whatever." Albert said to Wilhelm. 

"Whats the matter?"

"Oh, that girl seems to be interested in me. I don't have time for that right now."

"Well, you could have at least apologized to her when she walked out."

"No, I don't know her and I bet she does not speak German. She's one of those Russians! A dirty one and........"

"That's enough Albert. Just forget about it and play this game with us."