Out of the Town

Albert sat there forever, staring at Ernst's dead young body. He went back to the times they first met and talked to each other back at the Russian POW camp. That made him cry.

Albert felt his eyes water, tears soon bursted out falling on Ernst's pale bloody face. He pounded his fist on the floor and screamed, terrifyingly. The sound of the door downstairs had opened. The metal clings on the bottom of the boots came up the stairs, Wilhelm had returned.

"All because of this son of a....."

"That's enough Wilhelm."

Wilhelm stared at Ernst's body then back at the man. His black boots had stepped in Ernst's puddle of blood. He looked down at it and ran his fingers through it.  Wilhlem grabbed the knife that sat next to Ernst and threw it at the dead man a couple yards from Ernst's dead body. Wilhelm walked over and bent down as he picked up Ernst's arms.

"Help me carry him downstairs and outside, Albert."

Albert grabbed Ernst's legs while Wilhelm backed up towards the stairs. One step at a time. People were still in the shop downstairs, they looked at Ernst's dead body and having no idea what went on upstairs just a few moments ago. They had gotten to the door and Albert turned the knob.

"Thank you. I will carry him on my shoulder now." Wilhelm said.

Albert nodded and they walked through the town they were in last night. People on the streets were scared of them, mostly Wilhelm's black Panzer Uniform that had silver skulls on the collar meaning he was from the SS. Women ran pass them, glaring, hiding their faces and keeping their children close. The two of them were kicked in the legs a couple of times but made it through the mob. That was when they started running. They ran for so long while people kept throwing things at them.   They were close to exiting the town.

"Don't worry, we are almost there." Wilhelm said calmly but horribly out of breath.

"Good, I have not ran for this long ever since training."

They flew passed people with horses pulling wagons that were coming in from different villages or towns. That meant they were getting close to their exit point.