Chapter 4

I woke up hoping that everything was just a bad dream. A nightmare that was all in my head. I was going to wake up inside of my room and I would go downstairs and see her. Except that wasn't it. I was in Jenna's room not mine. The only person downstairs would be Uncle Ted not Mom.

My heart sank into my stomach. It was a dark morning just like my mood. It wasn't unusual for it to be dark out considering it was October. For some reason though it felt as though the light in life had disappeared was now in eternal darkness. I know that's some depressing stuff. Can you blame me?

Getting the strength to actually get out of bed was hard. I didn't want to get up. But I knew I couldn't just stay in bed the entire day. I let out a yawn as I walked out of the room. Every step I took felt heavy and clumsy. It wasn't a feeling I liked all that much.

I made it downstairs and made my way to the kitchen. I passed the pictures of Mom and the rest of our family. When I entered the kitchen Uncle Ted and Jenna were having a hushed conversation. It stopped when I sat at the table. They obviously we're talking about me.

"Morning Alex. Did you sleep?" Uncle Ted asked.

"Yeah I slept," I said.

Uncle Ted then got up and went over to the stove. There was a pan there. It smelled like bacon and eggs. That's my favorite breakfast meal.

"Do you want breakfast?" Uncle Ted asked.

"Sure," I said.

Uncle Ted set down the plate in front of me. I started to eat the bacon and eggs. Uncle Ted always made good bacon and eggs but Mom's was always better.

"It's good," I said beating Uncle Ted to asking if it was.

Soon it was just silence. The only sounds were my knife and fork against the plate. Jenna sipping her coffee. And me chewing my food. Nobody said a word.

When I finished my food I took my plate to the sink. I was about to go back upstairs when Jenna spoke.

"Dad you have to tell her," Jenna said.

"Tell me what?" I asked bitterly.

"The police are questioning you today," Uncle Ted said.

"Oh is that all," I said with a cold and detached voice.

I left the kitchen and ran back to my room. I shut the door and leapt on the bed. I took out my phone from my jacket on the floor. I had thirty texts from JJ. She also called sixty times and left ten voicemails.

I decided to call her back. I pressed her number and it started to ring. She then picked up.

"Hey JJ," I said over the phone.

"Alex. Alex! I've been so worried about you. Are you okay? You were in the hospital and... Oh God how are you emotionally? I mean you just lost... Why am I being so insensitive? What I'm trying to say is that I'm glad that I can hear your voice," JJ rushed out.

"It's nice to hear you too. I just wanted to say that I'm sorry for running out on you. I know I worried you and I could've gotten hurt," I said.

"Alex it's okay. I understand why you did what you did," JJ said.

Then a silence fell between us. What else was there for us to talk about? I wanted to say something but nothing came out.

"I have to go. But I'll see you soon okay." JJ said.

"Bye," I said.

I then hung up the phone. I turned to the wall against the bed and curled up into my knees. I started to cry for what was the umpteenth time now.