11 - Nic

"August, you can stop pretending to watch the movie now," I said once Julie had ducked into her car. August paused the movie and slowly turned to face me. "I saw you thinking. What's got you so perplexed?"  She shot me an incredulous look.

"You're kidding right?" She drawled.

"Sorry, I wasn't trying to tease you."

"I know." she took a deep breath. "I was thinking about which scenario would be more selfish; the one where I hurt you, or the one where I hurt Julie," she said sadly. I got up from the armchair and approached her. She patted and area on the bed and I gingerly sat down, in case I moved to fast and scared her away. 

"If you think about it that way, you'll feel awful no matter which scenario you choose. So put yourself at the centre. Where would August be happy and comfortable?" Her lips formed a severe pout as she deliberated.

"I can't do this," she said finally.

"Do what? Put yourself first?" She nodded slowly, ashamed. "Your selflessness is your kryptonite, August." I kissed her on her forehead, then packed up my stuff to leave.

"I love you too," she said under her breath. I paused at her bedroom door and contemplated running back to the bed and finally sweeping her up into that kiss, but decided that would be pushing her too hard. I managed a small smile, and then I was gone.