15 - Julie

Graduation day finally came. I was actually excited. The thought of leaving shitty highschool stuff behind for possibility-rich college stuff gave me the strength to style my hair and actually look like I gave a shit about something.

It looked like it was going to be the perfect day, until I dialled August's number out of habit.

"Julie...?" She was clearly confused. I thought about why I might have called her as a starting point. Oh the hair thing, I resolved. But my fingers worked faster than my mouth and I hit the end call option. She's not your friend, Myself told myself. But was Myself right? I made a mental list of why August was a backstabbing floozy...and was stuck at "Nic chose her over me". But was it really a choosing situation? He didn't know I had feelings for him, because of course, boys are hopelessly oblivious. But she knew. Would you choose her over Nic? the more sensitive me asked. I wasn't surprised to hear myself snort and say "no" out loud.

***

My near perfect day was slowly being invaded by cumulunimbus clouds of the literal and metaphorical variety. The weatherguy's forecast was a little off and so my (almost) perfectly straightened hair would be ruined, my (almost)  perfectly applied makeup would get washed off and my (almost) perfectly ironed grad robes would get soiled. Plus I was still plagued by the August question.

"You okay, hun?" mom asked pulling me from my thoughts.

"Just a little preoccupied," I answered.

"Big day huh? Wonder how August and Nic are doing. Don't you?" she glanced at me from the corner of her eye.

"Nope." Yes.

"Look, Juliet. I know why you're mad at them. I'm your mom; I pick up on everything. I know you either want me on your side or completely out of it, but I need you to know that you shouldn't throw your friendship away." I looked at her in disbelief.

"So you aren't on my side?"

"Hear me out. Your friendship can work even though they're together. You just have to want it to. They want it to. It's up to you."

"So you think I'm overreacting?"

"Yes." she said with no hesitation.

"Gee, thanks."

"So forgive them will you? You're all going to the same school. Maybe it's a sign." I rolled my eyes and put my earphones in.

***

I couldn't stop staring at them. Probably because mom got the thought of us at the same school in my head. It wasn't like me to obsess and I hated it. I felt vulnerable. They looked happy enough, clearly fine on their own. What are the odds we'd even see each other at school anyway, right? I sighed, unconvinced. They're over it. Well same here bitches.

"Julie!" someone called out sounding winded. I whipped around annoyed someone interrupted my dramatic exit, and suddenly felt winded myself after seeing who it was.

"August? What do you want?" I tried to sound threatening, and failed.

"You butt dialed me today...I took it as a sign. You didn't delete my number..." she smiled nervously. A few moments later Nic joined us.

"Congrats, Julie. Proud of you." he leaned in to hug me, but thought twice and settled for a shoulder squeeze and a sad smile.

"Congrats to you two, that valedictory duo. Wish I was surprised."

"Okay this is bullshit Julie," August broke down, "we miss you so much. Can we fix this please? I'm so sorry for betraying you."

"And I'm sorry for hurting you. I can't stress how unintentional that was." Nic added. I took a deep breath.

"I miss you fuckers too. I tried to hate you, you know. And I did for a while, but this whole graduation and college situation got me missing you. First and last time going soft, that's a promise." August jumped unto me and hugged me tight, planting big kisses on my cheeks and forehead. Nic joined in and lifted us both in a giant bear hug.

"It was torture ok. The hate was obvious. It was hardest when something stupid happened and I automatically picked up my phone to dial you." August's voice was totally distorted by sobs.

"Me too. I didn't have anyone to help me through the Clive bullshit. That was torture."

"Did he come back?" Nic asked, the worry and anger evident.

"No, he just called a lot more often. And I didn't really talk about the whole thing. It messed me up for a bit but it's whatever now... I love you guys."

"We have a lot to catch up on." Nic said with a smile.

"Pizza and Netflix?" August suggested with a grin.

"Pizza and Netflix sounds great." her grin was contagious. "It's long overdue."

THE END.