Chapter 23

We tried the find more tracks from Sophia. I followed her tracks out the back of the barn.

I stop dead in my tracks at the site of a dear.

I smile and tap carls shoulder. He stared at the dear in shock. We turn and look at Shane and Rick, who look just as shocked as we are. Shane gave us a nod and we looked back at the dear. Carl lifted his hand and slowly tiptoed to the dear. I put my knife away and watch Carl walk to the dear. I was grinning ear to ear. An alive dear must mean there's no walkers around, so that's a better chance Sophia might be alive.

BANG! Carl fell to the ground, blood staining his shirt. The dear dropped with a loud thud as I rushed towards him. "Shit, Carl!" I scream, bending down next to him. Rick pushed me out of the way.

"No, no, no!" Rick screams.

A man emerged from the woods. "Oh man, I'm so sorry." He said. Rick stood up and placed a knife to his throat.

"You bitch!"

"I know where we can get help!" Said the man, trying to back from ricks tight grip from his shirt.

"Tell me now!"

"There's a farm, maybe half an hour from here, I know a guy who can help him." He said. Rick put his knife away and picked Carls limp body off the ground. Carl was unconious, but he was still alive. I felt his pulse on his wrist. I was glad he was unconscious, because I couldn't imagine the pain going through him is he was conscious.

The man showed us where to go, and Shane made sure he was keeping up. He was kind of a larger man, so he wasn't as fast as the rest of us. I stayed by rick's side, killing walkers that were near enough.

The man pointed to a farm. "There...Find a man name Hershel, he'll help your boy." He said between breathes. I sprint to the farm just as a man and three women stepped outside and onto the porch.

"Are you Hershel?" I asked the old man. He nodded. "we need your help. My friend was shot and is now unconscious."

Rick brings him inside and sets him on a bed. One of the girls, a short reddish brownish haired girl, leads me outside and keeps me company. She introduces herself as Maggie, but I don't say anything. My run my hands on my knees and rock back and forth on the swinging bench.

"Don't worry. My Dad will heal your friend." She says, placing her hand on mine. "He'll be okay, I promise."

Rick walks outside, him rubbing his forehead. Hershel must've had him leave, too. Blood was stained on his t-shirt just as Shane and the man appear. "What'd you do, Otis?" Snapped Maggie, glaring at the man who shot my best friend.

Otis explained what happened, and I wanted to kill him, make him suffer, at that moment. It seemed a little harsh for a ten year old to say that or think those thoughts, but the bitch deserves it.