Chapter 21

It's funny how no one was even looking for me. I've been gone for what feels a little more than two hours-not finding a single track from Sophia- with a good amount of blood on my arm and unbearable pain shooting through my arm. I noticed how it was already getting dark, and Dad might be back already. Whatever, like I said, they'd be better off without me.

I roll my sleeve down over the bandaged bite and grabbed my bow. I had full attention to a step upon leaves.

To my luck, it was just a rabbit, so I shot it and retrieved my arrow. If Dad has taught me anything over the time through this hell hole, was save as much food as possible. I take a spare chain I got from Dad back at the camp and jab the pointy end through the rabbits neck. I hung the chain from the loop of my jeans as I tried not to focus on the pain shooting through my arm and throughout my body.

I arrive back at the highway, and Dad walked up to me, grabbed my hair, and yanked me towards him. "Where in the hell were you?" He spat.

"What'd you think I was doing? I was looking for Sophia!" I snap.

"I told you to stay here. Give me your bow and quiver." He let go of my hair and held out his hand.

"No!" I snap.

"Now!"

I rolled my eyes and set the bow and quiver of arrows in his large palm. "Knife and gun." He says. I groan so loud in annoyance and frustration as I handed him my weapons. "Now get in the RV."

My eye brows furrowed as I stomped to the trailer. Carl was sitting inside one of the booths, reading a comic book. He glanced over the book and smiled. "Hey, Steph." He says.

I ignore him and lay down on the booth across from him. I ran my fingers through my hair with my bad arm, not even remembering that I was bit. "What the heck!" He shouted. I glare at him.

"Shut up Carl!" I snap. In a lower voice, I said, "don't tell anyone. It was just a little scratch on a tree, that's all."

"That's a bite!" He half whispered, half shouted.

"Don't tell. Okay, seriously. Before I turn, I'll have Dad or Rick put me down. But right now, I need to tough this out until we find Sophia."

He stood up and sat down next to me. He leaned in a whispered, "what happened?"

"I was trampled by a walker. I didn't even know it was there, and it bit me. It's dead now, so don't worry." I say. He wraps his arms around me and pulls me into a hug.

"I don't want you to turn." He says. I rub his back lightly.

"I won't. I'll be dead before that ever happens. Even if it means I have to do it myself. What's the longest it's gotten? A day or two?"

"You'll have a day left." He replies, pulling away and staring into my eyes. He looked like he was about to cry. I clench my jaw to keep myself from crying. I don't want to die, I truly don't.