Chapter 20

We couldn't find Sophia, and Lori suggested we set signs for her.

"I've had enough of this shit, I'm going to go find her." Said Dad, walking towards the woods.

"So am I." I say.

"No, you stay here." He says.

"I want to help too!"

"You're helping by staying here. Rick, make sure she stays put."

"Sure thing." Says Rick. I gave Rick an evil look as dad hopped over the wall and ran down the hill, his crossbow raised in the air.

I groan and walk towards the RV. I sat in the back booth and grabbed my knife. I trace the blade over the wooden carving. I watch as Rick loads his gun out the window. He lifted the gun up in the air so he could examine it from the light of the sun.

I stand up and shove my knife in my pocket. I grab my bow and throw my quiver of arrows over my shoulder. I sneak out of the RV and run the opposite way down the highway, making sure no one watched as I leave.

I ran across the woods, my bow in my hand, my quiver over my torso, and my knife in my pocket.

I slowed to a stop to catch my breathe. No footprints were found across the ground, and I started to wonder-hope actually- if she was still alive. I didn't care for Carol, but it's her daughter. I always thought that Sophia was worth more than me, that the group really wouldn't need me and they would be better if I just left. But I wouldn't leave until I know Sophia is back safe and sound.

I was so caught up in my thoughts, that a walker threw itself on top of me, causing me to drop everything. It gnawed towards me, and I held its throat with my forearm.

My strength gave out as the walker bit my arm, ripping off my flesh.

I groan loudly, trying not to scream to attract more, and reached into my pocket to grab my knife. I stabbed right between its eyebrows and threw it off my body. I move my sweatshirt and rip off a large chunk of the back of my shirt and wrapped it around my forearm. I wince from the pain and sit down by a tree. "Shit." I mumble to myself.