Chapter 6

It's been my first week here. The woman turned out to be Ricks wife. Her name was Lori. Their sons name was Carl. The other man in the sheriffs uniform was Shane and the old man with the scroungy beard is Dale. The short haired woman is Carol. He husband, the over weight man, was Ed and the small blonde with Carol is her daughter Sophia.

Carl and Sophia were real good friends. They don't talk to me much but every once and awhile Lori makes them include me in. Rick told me that T-Dog dropped the key to Merhle's cuffs down the pipe. I haven't talked to them sense. How could they leave my uncle trapped on a roof handcuffed to a pipe, with walkers charging through the door! Just wait until my dad finds out. If he's even alive.

What am I talking about! Of course he's alive! He's Daryl Dixon for crying out loud! That mans as tough as stones.

"Stephanie." Said Rick, pulling me out of my train of thoughts. "Yeah?" I asked, looking up. "How bout you and Carl go down by the lake. Shane's going to teach you a few things." He smiled. I nodded my head. I didn't want to go down by the lake. Especially with Carl. He kind of makes me feel like I don't belong here, just because Merhle Dixon is my uncle.

Carl walked by Shane's side as I dragged behind. We reached the lake and Shane turned towards us, clapping his hand once and holding his hands together. "Alright. Who wants to learn how to catch a frog?" He asked. A huge smile spread on Carls face as mine stayed the same. "You don't seem as excited as Carl." Laughed Shane. I just look at his shoes. "C'mon let's lighten up that smile. Catching a frog is just like catching a fish." He laughed.

Shane told us what to do and he stood in the water. Carl took his stick and moved it around in the water. Shane held open a bag as some frogs leaped in the air and into the bag. Carl smiled and Shane laughed as I just watched. "Alright stephs turn." Said Shane as Carl handed me the stick. "It's just like what Carl was doing." Continued Shane.

I poked the stick in the water and moved it around as frogs jumped into the bag. "Sheesh your getting more than I did!" Laughed Carl. I smiled and poked more. More and more frogs flew in the air as Shane caught it. The bag was now full. Shane held out his hand for the stick as I have it to him. He gently poked the stick at the bag as the bag squirmed.

I laughed with Carl. "Proud of you kids." Shane laughed. He looked up and Carl and I turned around to see Lori carefully walking down the hill. "You kids go pick berries with Carol and Sophia." She said, finally reaching the bottom. Carl and I looked at each other. "Wanna race?" He asked. "You bet." I said.

We readied ourselves in a running position. "Go!" Shouted Shane. We took off running and I was a few feet ahead of him. "Hey slow down!" Laughed Carl. I reached the top and him only a few inches behind me. I could hear Lori laughing. "Your fast." Laughed Carl. I smiled. This was the first time he wasn't forced and still talked to me.