Prologue

PROLOGUE

«Beauty is in the eye of the gazer»
Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre

Gazing at beautiful things can be both extraordinary and remarkable, especially when you are able to find beauty in the things that surround you.

I have always been a devote admirer of gazing at the limitless ocean and wonder about the millions of possibilities that lie ahead, out there beneath the waves and the chaotic mixture of different shades of blue.

The story you have in your hands, my dear reader, is a story about the ocean.

Not the ocean per se, but a metaphorical one, if you would like to call it like that. I have always enjoyed metaphors myself, being the avid reader I am. But that is not the point. Please, allow me to focus on the story.

There was once a dragon-slayer that lived in the coldness of the snow — a boy, really. He was surrounded by the smell of apples, recently chopped wood and piles of dusty books.

He was brave,
righteous,
altruistic.

On the other side of the fields, lived a warrior princess, whom I guess you could call a girl. Her cluttered mind lived among flowers and words marked with ink.

She was fierce,
imaginative,
outspoken.

Boy and girl collided, in some way, like the waves of the ocean crash into each other in the wildness of the water.

Once upon a time, they had been rivals — sworn enemies as seen from the princess' eyes, yet they were matched in qualities such as intellect and perseverance. Almost two sides of the same coin.

A truce had been set until the dragon-slayer left the cold to seek new adventures.

He was gone for what seemed like an eternity to the warrior princess that has been awaiting for him to come back to her.

And he did.

Yet the ocean remained there — both of their souls were separated once again as if it was a sick joke of fate.

Constantly being separated.