116. A Mutual Decision

I didn't know what to say, what to feel or how I would react

I didn't know what to say, what to feel or how I would react. I wasn't his girlfriend anymore... and that only meant that I had no more rights to meddle with whatever that was happening in his life.

I was packaging with tape the last box when somebody knocked on the glass door. I looked back only to see Juan leaning on the door while holding his car's key. He was wearing a khaki shorts and white polo shirt partnered with the cap that I gave him way back Christmas 2018. "Hey," he said as he finally entered. "What's all of these?" he asked as he looked at the boxes stacked in this room.

I just smiled timidly at him. "Just some stuff," I stood up and was about to carry a box to my car when he stopped me.

"Ako na," he said.

Umiling ako at inagaw pabalik ang box. "I can manage."

I didn't want to do anything with him after that talk with Joe... because if it's true then, that it was the bigger dream, then I shall have no place in his life anymore.

"Let me help you," he said as he was holding the other side of the box.

Umiling ulit ako. "Didn't you hear what I just said?" I asked, my voice starting to break. "I can manage, Juan. I can manage without you in my life."

And with that, the box fell on the floor. I never meant what I said, I just wanted him to leave me alone and give me time to finally forget about everything that I was feeling for him.

I just stared at the box, not wanting to look in his eyes. "What's the problem?" he asked after a few minutes of not speaking. "Tell me... what's the problem?" he asked again when I didn't answer.

I slowly shook my head. "Nothing," sabi ko bago ko ulit kuhanin 'yung box mula sa sahig. I walked towards outside fastly. Kaagad kong inilagay 'yung box sa compartment ng kotse. When I entered the room again, I could feel him staring intently at me. I ignored him and continued getting the boxes and bringing them to my car. When it was time to bring the last box to the car, he stopped me by holding my arm. "What's the problem, Sabado?" he sincerely asked. "We're finally doing okay again, right? Then, what's this? What's happening?"

Umiling ulit ako. "I'm busy," I said trying to get away from his hold. His hold wasn't even tight and maybe it was just me... I just didn't want to let go of his hold of me. I wanted him to hold me like he used to. "Look, Juan, I still have a lot of things to do, kaya kung pwede bitawan mo na ako-"

"And then what? Let you leave me again like what happened two years ago?"

Natigilan ako sa tanong niya. This time, we were looking at each other's eyes. I hated that even just looking at his orbs breaks me. "I never left you, you know that. I needed to leave because of my mom's condition, Juan-and that's two different things."

"Yes, you never left me, Sabado... but you broke up with me..." he said as he let go of my arm. "Why?"

"My mom was sick-"