120. Three Long Years

Breathe 🥰  pakinggan niyo music sa taas, mas dama hahahahahaha

After three years.

"Smile, dali! Sabby! Smile!" my ever supportive bestfriend told me. I smiled as I was holding and looking at my thesis. We did multiple shots before Lauren finally got satisfied with taking pictures of me and my thesis.

She shrieked as she hugged me. "Super happy ko lang talaga para sa 'yo!" she exclaimed and her hug tightened. I laughed at her. "Feeling ko tuloy ako 'yung malapit ng grumaduate! Kahit graduate naman na ako! Nakaka-proud ka!" she said.

I wrinkled my nose at her. "Thank you for staying, you're the best friend ever!" I said as I kissed her on the cheek and I'm sure we looked like two crazy girls laughing outside College of Arts and Letters.

I was really thankful for her because she never left me. She stayed by my side through good times and bad times. She was a real friend. True friends are hard to find nowadays... and I'm lucky to have one of them.

I was nervous and excited at the same time. I can't tell. All I know is that I'm happy—really happy that I am finally achieving one of my dreams: to graduate with my dream course at my dream school—University of the Philippines.

I was staring at my reflection in the mirror when my father popped out of nowhere. He was at my back, also looking at my reflection. He put his hands on my shoulders. "Do I look good?" I asked him as I looked at myself while wearing a cream colored laced top long dress.

He smiled at me. "You looked as beautiful as your mother. Nakuha mo ang mga mata ng Mama mo... isang rason kung bakit ako nahulog sa kanya ay dahil sa magagandang pares ng mga mata niya."

I bit my lower lip to stop myself from feeling sad. I should be happy. I've waited for so long to reach this chapter of my life. "Do you think she's proud of what I've achieved?" I worriedly asked him.

"She is," he answered and now, I couldn't stop myself from smiling. Sana nga proud ka sa akin, Ma. Everything I do is for you now... to make you proud. To give back to you even when you're already in heaven. All I ever wanted was to see her happy. To make her happy. To take care of her. To work hard so that I'd be the one to provide for our living... but it's too late to do all those things now.

Umalis si Papa sa likuran ko. I twirled and saw him holding my sablay. I immediately smiled at the sight of that.

I never even imagined myself wearing one of those. When I was a kid, I imagined myself studying at Ateneo or maybe in De La Salle University... but, God has other plans for me.

Years ago, I never expected to pass the UPCAT. I only took it because Kuya Diego told me to do so. I never imagined myself being an iskolar ng bayan or iska... but I did. I passed in UP and now I'm finally graduating.

I smiled as I hugged him. "Thank you and sorry for everything, Pa..."

He hugged me back. "I'm proud of you, anak. Sa lahat-lahat ng nagawa mo. At sigurado akong proud na proud din sa 'yo ang Mama mo sa langit."