04| 𝐴𝑀𝐵𝐼𝑉𝐴𝐿𝐸𝑁𝐶𝐸

"You got a bathroom?" I asked Billy as we walked into the house

"Yeah, down the hall to the right," he said, pointing the way. "I'll be out here pressing."

"Pressing?" I asked him, eyebrows raised.

"Yeah, bench pressing," he said, pointing to the weights in the living area. I nodded and sat my bag down on the loveseat next to where he was going to 'bench press'.

I walked into the bathroom and washed my hands; I just felt like doing it since I felt kind of dirty. It's not a habit I picked up, but I just felt like there was something on my hands. As I got out, I was met with Max staring me behind the door in the hallway. Her eyes were squinted as if she was trying to read my vibe. 

"You're not like one of Billy's whores, are you?" She asked me. I looked at her, flabbergasted for a second, before answering.

"I'm going to take that as a compliment," I said, chuckling a bit. I was unsure how to respond, I've never had someone confront me like that before.

"You just seem better than them. You have that in your eyes," she said. I cocked my head to the side, now confused more than ever. Was that a compliment?

"And what's that?" I asked, wondering what she was 'seeing' in me.

"Ambivalence," she said quietly. I looked at her and tried to understand how a girl her age would know such a word and how quickly she could size me up. I settled on giving her a quick grin to cover up my awkwardness.

"I don't think we've formally met, I'm Lili Turner," I said, holding my hand out for her to shake.

"Wait, the Lili Turner?" She asked, her face filled with awe.

"The one and only?..." I asked, lifting a brow. There was more than one?

"It's just that, Lucas and Dustin talk nonstop about you," she chuckled slightly as if reminiscing in a memory. I blushed at this. I love those boys but I hope they didn't say anything they weren't supposed to.

"Oh, well that's nice," I smiled at her. She shook my hand, introducing herself as Max Mayfield. I walked back to the front of the house where Billy was pressing and Max went into her room. Billy was shirtless but had on gray sweatpants.

"How old's Max?" I yelled over the music that Billy was blasting as he lifted his weights. I watched his muscles flex and relax as his eyes settled on me, keeping my gaze. A cigarette was hanging between his lips and the TV behind him was on.

"Thirteen," he answered bluntly then returned to his set. I nodded politely, itching to get more information.

"She's a poet?" I asked him.

"Doubt it," he said, grunting as he lifted again. I nodded again. I took out my notebook with my notes on chemistry. I found out that we were doing cobalt for our element but I quickly I found myself thinking about Billy's eyes, how they looked like cut cobalt. I snapped myself out of my daze and returned to writing my notes on the element.