11| 𝑀𝐴𝑁𝐼𝐶

"It's my brother," Max said, locking eyes with Lucas in a panic

"It's my brother," Max said, locking eyes with Lucas in a panic. "He can't know I'm here."

"He can't know we're here," I corrected. She nodded, taking a deep breath to calm down.

I watched Steve's eyes go to Lucas and his jaw set in determination. It clicked and I knew what he was thinking.

"Steve, no." I held my arms out to block his way but he grabbed them.

"Stay here Lili." He gritted his teeth and gripped my arm tighter.

"But Billy will kill— " I started but he cut me off.

"Stay. Here." With that, he pushed me back and I tripped over my own feet. I fell to the ground, letting out a yelp as the friction opened the gashes on my arm back up. Steve's jacket was coated with blood.

"Jesus, Lili, I'm so..." Steve started to say but he stopped short and just shook his head, walking out the door.

"He's gonna die," I said as I scrambled back up. Dustin and Max helped me up and I made my way over to the window to watch the interaction. Billy was already out of his car. He took a few steps and stood by his car with a cigarette in his hand. I could barely see Steve, but then he stepped out and closer to Billy.

"Am I dreaming, or is that you, Harrington?" I heard Billy's muffled voice through the glass. I felt the couch I was leaning over dip on either side and I knew the kids were watching too. I was too worried for Steve to tell them not too.

"Yeah it's me, don't cream your pants," Steve delivered smoothly. By this time, the two "Kings of Hawkins" were almost face to face in the Byers' driveway.

"What are you doing here, amigo?" Billy asked, tauntingly.

"I could ask you the same question, amigo." Steve tried Billy's language on his own tongue and I could tell he was uncomfortable with it.

"I'm looking for my stepsister. A little bird told me she was here."

"Huh, that's weird. Don't know her," Steve answered a bit too quickly.

"Small, redhead, bit of a bitch?" Billy inquired. Steve shook his head.

"Yeah... that's not ringing any bells, man. Sorry," Steve said. Billy stepped closer to him with his eyes narrowed as he studied him. I saw his eyes flicker and I knew. I knew that we've been caught.

"Shit..." I mumbled.

"This whole situation... I don't know, Harrington. It's giving me the heebie-jeebies," Billy waved his cigarette in the air.

"Yeah? How's that?" Steve asked, his arms still crossed.

"My thirteen year old sister goes missing on the same day that my girlfriend, who is very punctual by the way, stands me up. The very one I told you to stay away from. And I find them both here with you— at a stranger's house— and you lie to me about it." I raised a brow. He does have a point.