18| 𝑇𝐻𝐸 𝐷𝐴𝑁𝐶𝐸

"Ow!" Max cried as I brushed her knotted hair

"Ow! Lili, could you not try to rip out my hair follicles?" Max complained.

"If you actually took the time to brush your hair once a month, we wouldn't be having this conversation," I hummed, pulling the poor pink plastic hairbrush through Max's fiery red hair.

"Ow!" Max cried again when the brush got stuck. "I got it!" She ripped the hair rush out of my hands and started to rip through her hair with it.

"No, no, no!" I whined, cringing at the sound of hair breaking. "You're fucking up your hair!"

"SUSAN?!" I heard the roar of the voice I dreaded. "TURN DOWN THAT NOISE!"

"Okay, Neil," I heard a scared voice from the kitchen. Sounds of soft footsteps came closer to the tiny bathroom that I was getting Max ready in.

"Girls?" I heard Susan ask. She rounded the corner and sympathy filled her eyes. "Maybe take it down a notch? Neil is watching television."

"Tell him to put it louder," Max mumbled.

"What was that?" Susan asked her. I elbowed Max not-so discreetly.

"I mean- Tell him we said 'Okay'," Max gave a fake smile. Susan smiled but it was full of worry. She pulled away and walked out.

"Shit, Max, you're gonna get yourself killed," I said to her. She shrugged.

"Tie a noose already,". Max mumbled.

"Shut up," I shook my head. I twisted a piece of her hair and pinned it to the side of her head. I smiled at the simplicity of it.

"Are you gonna fix that?" Max pointed to my messy bun. I touched it to make sure it was secure.

"Nope," I smiled. I turned on my heel to Billy's room, where I kept my dress. Knocking before entering, I walked up behind him and wrapped my arms around his waist. He touched my connecting hands lightly before he turned suddenly and threw me onto the bed.

"Billy!" I giggled as he rested his face in the crook of my neck. I hit his arm playfully.

"Billy, you an Max are going to be late," I whined. And I still have to get El ready, I thought. But of course, I wouldn't say that.

"Screw the dance," he said from my neck. His breath pushed around the hair resting on my neck and it sent shivers down my spine.

"No, Billy, I already promised the school," I sighed.

"Lils," he purred. "It's more fun here with me."

"I know," I groaned. He shot his head up and placed a peck on my lips.

"What if I convinced you?" He smirked as his hand traveled down my arm and pinned my wrist down onto the bed.

"I don't think that's possible," I grinned.