Chapter 32

The picture above reminds me of my old home, the property where I grew up. I spent countless hours in the backyard under the camphor laurel trees, reading, writing songs and poetry, talking with my best friend, or just sitting in the branches and dreaming, watching the sunset through the vibrant coloured leaves of every season.
I think I passed on this love of nature to Ariella 🥰

4030 words

Cornflakes crunch in my mouth, their cracking sound the only thing I can hear in this silent and empty house.

As I pour milk into my bowl, I wonder where everyone is, and figure they must be out training, working hard, or avoiding me. The last realisation stings, as I know that Malachi never came home last night. Our bed remained cold and empty beside me.

I don't know where he went or why he just ran from me last night. It had been going so well, the pizza and fellowship night I organised in full swing, and I was sure Malachi was happy and proud of what I'd done. I'd seen it in the way his blue eyes were watching me the entire time I told my story. I felt it in his racing heartbeat when I led him to the dance area and wrapped my arms around him.
I'd heard it in the gentle way he said my name.

But then he was gone.

Pushing through the crowd and disappearing into the shadowed forest like my touch was burning him, like the bonfire behind us was consuming his sense and reason.

What reason could he have for staying away all night? Did I do something wrong? If he was unhappy with me or didn't like what I said, why couldn't he just tell me?

My cornflakes are soggy by the time I finish staring down at the cereal, lost in thought and lost inside. I thought I was doing alright, but then these strange moods come over Malachi and he'll act so strangely. Actually, most of the time he'll be quiet and pensive, dark and brooding and keeping everything to himself. I recognise the serious look of responsibility on an Alpha, but Malachi is like that most of the time.

I just want to make him smile.

I just want him to laugh and be carefree for once in a while, setting his blue eyes to sparkling and shining with a thousand tiny flecks of silver.

I make my way back to my room, telling myself not to go out looking for him. I won't go crawling to him like I'm needy.
If he wants to spend time with me, he'll come to me.

He'll find me.

My mouth tugs into a smile as I see my violin case, sitting unopened on top of a shelf near the window. I haven't played it for weeks, yet my fingers find their place as I draw the bow across the strings. Instinct takes over, my thoughts speak through the simple melody that comes out of the instrument, and it turns haunting yet harmonising as I process what I'm feeling.

Music has always been a part of my soul, and I close my eyes and let it flow through me. The excitement builds as I change to something more upbeat, as the stress and worry slip from me with each note and trill I play. This makes me happy, this relaxes me, and I can't help but sway around the room.

I then want to hear the echoes of the song in the hallways, with the high ceilings reverberating the strains back to me. The music soars through the empty mansion as I dance down the corridor and lose myself in the enjoyment of what I'm creating. The music flows from my imagination to my fingers, through the strings and back to my ears. It is almost magical.

"What is that terrible noise?! What are you doing to me?"

I gasp and slide on my toes as I come to a halt. The angry words reach me and I flinch.