Chapter 21

Bonus mid-week update! I hope you all are working hard at whatever it is you do :)
Enjoy~

3435 words

Pale blue eyes sparkled at her from amidst the forest shadows. Ariella pressed a hand to her chest to stop her heart from racing, and called her friend over. "Gabby! Don't sneak up on me like that!"

Gabby laughed, her long blonde tresses swaying with the wind like golden willow leaves. "I wasn't sneaking. You just sensed me way before I could even get close. You're far too perceptive, Ari. So how are things? I heard your parents talking the other day, saying that Alpha Malachi had taken you to his pack," she wrapped an around Ariella's waist and plucked a lavender leaf, holding it to her nose and breathing in the relaxing scent before tucking it behind Ariella's ear.

"Yes, he did. During my heat. But we didn't do anything....intimate, you know. He respected me enough and we're waiting until we know each other better."

"I'm surprised. Normally Alpha males are all possessive and want to claim what's theirs right away."

Ariella nodded, her eyes far off, studying the distance. "I... we ... we want to work things through slowly." In other words, Malachi had given her time to decide if she wanted to be Luna. In other other words, the young Alpha was still deciding if Ariella would make a good Luna. "But you know what? We're okay. Things are okay." Ariella would remain positive if it was the last thing she did. She'd had enough moping and feeling sorry for herself. Watching her dad and Beta Hamilton go through some playful sparring maneuvers in the distance reminded her of who she was.

A warrior's daughter.

"So are any of the rumours true? Is the forest of DoubleEdge haunted? Are there ghosts or demons lurking around the place?" Gabby asked, but her tone of voice wasn't full of gossip or prattle. Her face showed genuine concern for Ariella. She had always been like that, whereas Luci was only after information for her own benefit. To satisfy her lurid curiosity.

"I can feel something different around the place, like a heavy cloak of secrets. Sometimes an unnatural shadow skitters across Malachi's face. And his mother..." Ariella had to fight off the shiver that always wriggled over her skin when she even thought of Seneca and her obsidian black eyes. "I just have an overactive imagination. We don't believe in demons, remember?"

Gabby bit her lip to stop herself from laughing. "You want to have that discussion again? It's only Luci who tries to deny them."

"Maybe she's just scared of them."

"Or maybe she's in love with one," Gabby scowled, then both girls burst out laughing.

"How is Luci anyway?"

"Missing you. We all are. Now that you live in DoubleEdge, how often can we come and visit?"

"Oh, I'm not...I'm not sure. Maybe just wait until I settle in before you come and tear the place down with a wild party. I think the Beta would have my head if I entertained the idea of visitors to his territory. He's very good at his job, that guy." Ariella crossed her arms and frowned, facing her dad and the strong Beta once more.

Gabby's eyes followed and she remained silent for a moment as if lost in thought. "He may not be as bad as you think..."

Ariella watched her friend with puzzlement, at the way her eyes narrowed and slender shoulders straightened while she looked on at the Beta. "Do you want to come meet him? Then you can tell me what you make of his charming personality."

Gabby averted her eyes quickly, "No, I'm okay. I'm sure you'll figure out what it is that's bothering him."

Feeling only the inclination to agree, Ariella nodded. She was over trying to sort everything out without much information to go on. She'd learn things as they happened and then figure what to make of them.