Chapter 63

3302 words

"What is it you would like me to do?"

"You are so very eager to start," the King, my Father, chuckles, the rich and playful sound catching me off guard. It compels me to laugh also, yet I am unsure if that would be polite in the presence of someone so powerful.

So I bite my lip for a moment, planning my next words carefully. My mind is still reeling with where I have found myself, in the King's paradise with countless faithful souls resting under His protection.

And now, being in the King's presence, I am filled with such awe that I find it hard to grasp any meaning to my insignificant thoughts. "Yes, well...I have only ever wanted to do what is right. Yet it seems I keep failing. I've lied to my parents, I've betrayed Malachi and his pack, I've fallen for the charms of a man so treacherous, and because of that so many deaths are on my head. So much spilled blood, and it's all my fault."

I swallow convulsively and wrap my arms around myself, trying to still the tremor that has infused my bones. "It's no wonder Malachi rejected me, to keep my toxic hands from hurting his pack even more," I pour out my failures and soul-crushing fears, the guilt that still clings to me, not bothering to keep anything from the God of the universe. I know He can read every thought in my head as though they are written on a papyrus scroll in indelible ink.

His hand comes to rest in the middle of my back, rubbing in soothing motions that unwind the knots plaguing my quivering frame. "You should not take all the blame. It wasn't your fault. There was much evil working against you. Sure, you are not perfect, my Daughter. I do not expect you to always make wise decisions. Just always be listening, and I will guide you."

I feel myself relax, His calm strength infusing me again. "That feeling I get in my heart, a stirring or urging. That's been you, hasn't it?"

He nods, and I imagine a coy smile on his face. He turns and directs me down the shoreline, our feet padding smoothly over the soft sand.

I narrow my eyes, "So why then does it often lead me into trouble?" I remember the times I'd been chased by wolves, pushed from cliffs, my steps dogged by demons, the lies spun before my eyes meant to drag me down into despair. My dreams and fanciful ideas haven't always ended in sunshine and rainbows. The path has never been easy, and sometimes downright foolish.

The King releases a heavy sigh, "Trouble is drawn like a magnet to those who are doing what is right, unfortunately. Darkness will always seek to corrupt the light."

"You are speaking of Lucius and his evil henchmen? They roam the earth and plague us mortals, Gabriella explained. Must it always be like that?"

The King's fists close tightly, and I notice the tension that hardens his shoulders. I imagine his strong jaw clenching as palpable anger rolls off Him. The wind picks up around us, thick gusts stirring the ocean and causing large waves to crash towards the shore. I feel the King's righteous fury in the elements surrounding us. "For a time. I have given my angels free will, and some have chosen to rebel against everything I have commanded of them. They insist on corrupting and destroying my originally perfect creation. I will not stop them. Yet."

"So you do have a plan?" I ask breathlessly, caught up and tossed around in the stormy sea of his words, the final one like a firm gust of wind flinging me to shore where I find reprieve.

"Well, of course I do." Again, the ground shakes beneath my feet as the King chuckles gently. "And you, my Dearest, are a part of it."

The sea calms, and along with it the hammering of my traitorous heart.

I beam, feeling honoured and unworthy at once. "So what is it You want me to do?" I repeat my earlier question, eager to begin this important task. I will do anything for my King, for the God who has touched me so gently yet holds such power in His hands, that I know he can crush Lucius and all his horrid schemes with just a single fist.