Chapter 6

I held my hands up. "W-what are you saying?! I'm not a player killer, I swear! You would've been dead by now if I was one of them!" I protested.

His angry gaze softened a little, but it was still hard. "Then why are you part of the Sun Shadow?" he interrogated.

"I was recruited! They helped me out when I was fighting a beast on the fourth floor!" I answered.

"That's how it starts," the player stated.

"W-what do you m-mean?" I stammered.

He lowered his sword and said, "You fell for their trap. When they see someone in danger, they help him or her out and persuade them to join their guild. You can't trust them. They probably haven't told you this, but they kill players. They want to conquer the 100th floor and they make sure that nothing, and I mean nothing, gets in their way."

"They're dangerous and cruel. Their leader, Commander Kriyos, doesn't stop until those who opposed him are dead. There are other players out there aiming for the 100th floor, but Kriyos wants to get there first. He tortures them and makes sure they are eliminated."

I felt the world around me stop. Sure, Kriyos hasn't been the best and maybe I got the hint, but this?! "How do you know this?" I asked. 

"I've seen them before, but I couldn't get anyone to believe me. Here," he said as he pulled out his inventory tab and tapped on an item. It was a brown hood. "This was left after one of the guild members killed a player. You can check if you want," he offered.

I held the hood in my hands. All this time, all the kindness I have been given and the offers that were made for me, they were lies. Wait a sec...Luna!!

"Oh no, Luna! I-I have to go! I have to tell them that the guild is evil!" I realized. The player grabbed my arm as I was about to run out. "Tell this to anyone and I will make you regret it," he warned.

I nodded quickly and said, "Thank you for telling me this. I promise on my life that I won't tell. What's your name?"

He turned his head and said, "Reo."

I said, "My name is Nikki. Thank you, Reo."

I hurried out of the cave and ran as fast as I could to a teleportation station. I quickly acquired a teleportation crystal and said, "Teleport: Tasimo."

I ran to the big house, trying to cloud my mind. I pushed everyone and reached for the door. I ran down the basement and into the chamber. The guards were about to seize me, but I was too quick. I looked for Luna among the players and saw her. "Luna!" I shouted. She turned to my direction after talking to the other members and walked towards me. 

"Hey, Nikki! We finished our assignment," she replied.

"Luna, you have to help me now," I urged.

I grabbed her arm and rushed to the door. I opened it and we climbed upstairs and finally walked outside. 

"Luna, the Sun Shadow is evil! They're a player killer guild! We have to stop them!" I said, raising my voice.

Luna looked at me with confusion and said, "Well, of course I knew that."

I stared at her, bewildered. "W-what?"

Luna shrugged and replied, "I already knew that. I want to go home and conquer the 100th floor. Kriyos has the same goal. I want to clear Aincrad along with the Sun Shadow, even if it means killing players. There's nothing wrong to it. After all, everyone should have the same goal. This is what it means to be in a real game. Don't you think the same way?"

I shook my head in disbelief. "No. No, Luna. I-I can't do this. I am not a player killer. This is not who I am. I'm leaving."

I turned around and started walking away when I felt a sharp jab of pain through my back. 

I shrieked and fell. I turned my head and saw Luna holding her sword. She attacked me! Luna held a hurt gaze and said in a barely audible voice, "You betrayed me."

I tried screaming for help, but everyone was in their houses. I stood up and faced Luna as she held her sword against me. "What happened to you, Nikki? I trusted you. I gave you my everything!" she yelled. 

I yelled back, "You actually want this?! You don't have to do this!"

"You...you...betrayed me! I am never going to forgive for this!" Luna shouted in rage. She swung her sword down, but I dodged it and grabbed my sword out of my sheath. I kicked her and she staggered back. I wanted to at least hurt her, but not enough to actually kill her, or else I would be a player killer like the Sun Shadow.

She got back up on her feet and tripped me. I fell down and tried standing up, but she was starting to land blows on me. I luckily grabbed my sword and kept blocking them. 

"I put..."

She landed her sword on mine.

"...all my trust in you..."

Another blow.

"...and this is what I get from you..."

And another.

"...lies..."

Crack!

"...pain..."

Crack!

"...and betrayal..."

CRACK! I didn't know if my sword could handle any of Luna's raging blows.

"Luna, I'm sorry!" I shouted.

"Shut up, traitor! I am going to kill you and you will die by my hand!" she yelled as she knocked my sword out of my hand. I looked at her in fear.

"Now...DIE!" she yelled. Her sword was going to meet my heart. I closed my eyes and heard a loud thud and a groan. And just like that moment at the fourth floor, I was saved. I looked to see my savior. Handsome, brown-haired, dressed in a dark blue coat. 

Reo.