Chapter 23

After our studies, it was time for a lunch break. Haru and I decided to go outside and sit on a bench, away from the busy cafeteria. 

"Finally, some peace and quiet!" Haru exclaimed. 

"You got that right," I laughed.

We ate our lunch in silence for the rest of the break. I wanted to say something, but what could I say? We've just got out of SAO. This was definitely not a time to change the subject.

After the break, the bell rang, which told us that it was time to get back. I stood up and started to walk away, but Haru grabbed my hand and asked, "Maori..."

I turned and looked at him. He asked, "Do you want to go out with me after school. Get our minds off all this?"

I felt myself blushing all over. I quickly said, "Yes! Of course!"

Haru smiled and said, "Great! Thanks! Just give me your phone number and I'll contact you."

After exchanging phone numbers, we went back to our classes. They were, like always, long and boring. I almost fell asleep in one of them.

After about three hours, school ended and all of us got to go home. My mom picked me up and asked about my day at school. I told her everything, especially when Haru asked me out. Obviously, she was interested and immediately asked me if she could get Haru's mom's email. I rolled my eyes and said that it was okay.

Once we got home, my mom told my dad and my brother and they were shocked. I slapped my forehead and went upstairs, waiting for Haru to contact me. A few minutes later, he did and I quickly picked up my phone. 

"Maori?" he asked.

"Haru! Hi! So where will we be?" I asked.

"Let's go to Running Rivers. I heard it's beautiful this time of year," Haru stated.

"Okay! I'll meet you there!" I said.

I went to my closet and picked out my clothes. In the end, I wore a pastel blue skirt, a white blouse, brown leather ankle boots, and a pink handbag to go with it. I walked out of my room and my family saw me. 

"Our daughter's all grown up!" my mom said in a singsong voice.

"Mom!" I complained.

"Don't cause trouble," my dad said.

"I won't, I won't," I reassured.

"Can't believe you're actually going on a date," my brother said.

I rolled my eyes and said, "Thanks for your support."

My mom drove me to Running Rivers and dropped me off. A couple of minutes later, Haru arrived. He looked nice with a blue polo shirt and khakis. He waved and came over to me.

"Why did you pick this place?" I asked, curious.

"Because I wanted to show you something. Close your eyes," Haru said.

I did and he held my hand, guiding me to where he wanted to show me. After walking, he said, "Now open."

I did and I gasped. We were beside a cherry blossom tree that was near a flowing river. The water sparkled ever so bright and to complement the landscape, there was a sunset. "Haru, it's amazing!"

"Yeah. That's why I wanted to take you here. Not only is this the perfect place for our date, but it reminds us of something else," Haru said.

I tipped my head in curiosity, but Haru said, "Look closely."

I looked at the river and then at the sunset. Then it hit me. This was almost an exact replica of where we had Mei's memorial. 

"Mei..." I gasped. Haru nodded. 

"I just wanted to make sure we never forgot her sacrifice," Haru whispered.

I smiled at him and said, "We'll always remember her, won't we?"

Haru replied, "Of course."

We sat beside the cherry tree and looked at the view. It was a reminder of what we gained and what we lost during our time in SAO. I would never forget Mei, and neither would her guild, for they saw what she had done to save us. 

One thing was for sure: the game was over, but my adventure was just beginning.