Chapter 9: Distress Signal

"I'm going to die." Carlos grumbled as he paced up and down in the lab. His team watched dumbfounded after his long explanation, though it was more of a rant than anything.

"And you're getting this from some crazy old lady?" Asked Jess.

"She's not crazy. She's a lovely woman who seemed to know an awful lot about me. And she told me that I'm going to die." He explained as he continued to pace.

"Well, just think about this logically. All she said was that death will come to you. Death comes to everyone, so you're probably fine." Said Robin.

"She said death will come to Night Vale. I'm only in Night Vale for a year. I'm going to die this year. Just...with everything those men said. It's adding up guys, it's really adding up."

"Carlos, will you please sit down and think about this like a scientist." Sighed Marsha.

"No time for that. Carlos the scientist is in the back right now, Carlos the panicky mess is currently in charge."

"Well, we're all in trouble." Muttered Robin.

"I'm calling Mr Markson." He announced.

"No, wait." Shouted Robin, lunging to grab Carlos' collar, but he was at the phone before anyone could stop him.

Mr Markson picked up surprisingly fast. Carlos and the team were used to talking to them in the evening to deliver daily reports, which mostly consisted of the line: "we found a thing and we have absolutely no idea how it works. We'll keep posted", but it was the middle of the afternoon. What did the man do all day? What did the man do at all?

"Hello this is-"

"Mr Markson?"

"Ah, Mr Cienca. You're early. Is everything okay? How are the wrists?" He asked.

"They're fine. I just...wait, how did you know about that? I didn't tell you about that." Carlos scowled.

"Your team called me, remember? Besides, who do you think got you out?" He laughed.

"Right...Mr Markson-"

"How are those new friends of yours? Josie and that radio host you keep talking about. They all good? Are they telling you anything interesting?" He questioned.

"Yes, actually. That's what I wanted-"

"You know I dated a radio host once? Nice guy. Got kind of weird near the end. Got...really weird near the end." Mr Markson reminisced before snapping back to reality. "But he got in the way of work. Work comes first, understand?"

"What? Why does everyone keep asking me about Cecil? We're not even...look I'm not calling to give you the daily report." Carlos finally managed to say.

"Oh..." Mr Markson mumbled. "Well what on Earth are you calling for?"

"Mr Markson, I'd like to leave." He admitted.

"You what?" His eavesdropping team shouted.

"I beg your pardon?" Mr Markson asked calming.

"I just...it's just..."

"Mr Cienca, the two of us had a deal. You signed a form, it's legally binding." He reminded him.

"I know but-"

"What's the problem, Mr Cienca. Are you scared?" He sneered.

"Well..."

"Because I thought a scientist wasn't meant to be afraid of anything." He hissed.

"I'm just a teacher, sir." Carlos mumbled, his voice a near whisper. There was a short silence on both ends before Mr Markson let out a deep sigh.

"Alright, listen, kid."

"I'm not a kid." He muttered.

"I said listen." He snapped before calming down. "I remember the first time I went out to do field experiments. It's scary, I get it. It can feel like everyone is against you. Sometimes, everyone is against you."

"Is this supposed to be helping?" Asked Carlos.

"Interrupt me again and I swear I'll disconnect the call. The point is everything worked out for the best in the end. Now I'm here, running a company, sending out my own scientists, making a difference. You're going to do that too, kid. Night Vale is going to thank you. Trust me."

"Another point for team sentient town." Carlos muttered.

"What? No. Towns aren't sentient, Carlos. That's very unscientific of you." Mr Markson growled.

"Sorry."

"But you're there for a reason and I'm not going to let you walk away from. Besides, Cecil would be very upset."

"Why does everyone-"

Mr Markson hung up before he could finish his sentence. Carlos sighed and placed the phone down. It seemed that he was stayed regardless of what he or the town wanted. He took a deep breath and calmed down. Mr Markson was right. He wanted to be a real scientist and that was going to mean taking big risks. If he was going to die in Night Vale, then he was going to die scientifically after the best year of his life.