Chapter 22: Interference

Finding Cecil turned out to be a little harder than Carlos had expected. He didn't particularly want to go to the radio station: 1.) because it was unprofessional to ask about social events while Cecil was at work, 2.) because that place gave Carlos a weird feeling. He'd probably like it if he spent a long time there, but since he'd never get the chance to be there as long as he needed avoiding it seemed like the best plan. But he'd never been given Cecil's address, merely a vague idea of the area, and he couldn't call him because his mobile was destroyed beyond repair. Such calls felt wrong on the lab phone. He never knew who was listening. He wandered the streets aimlessly, hoping fate would pick him up and guide him. It didn't. Eventually, he gave up and went to The Black Cauldron. He deserved a little treat.

"Hey there." The barista greeted. "Did you bring your skull?"

"What?" He gasped. Oh right, he almost forgot for a second. "No, sorry."

"That's fine, I'll grab you one from the side. What can I get you? The Hellfire and brimstone latte is on offer today."

"Um...I'll just stick to cappuccino, thanks." Was a Hellfire and brimstone latte another of Night Vale's spicy treats or was lava just another dangerous material they liked to play with? He got his perfectly normal drink and turned to head to a table, locking eyes with Cecil at the door. "...Hi."

"Hi." Cecil smiled. "Fancy seeing you here. Almost like fate."

"Yeah." Thank the Lord for fate, slow and clumsy as it was. They rushed to a table before Cecil had got his drink. This was Carlos' best and possibly only chance. The next five months of his life was riding on this moment. He summoned all his courage and decided to start talking without a plan. Cecil would probably prefer honesty over calculation. "So, I was thinking-"

"Cecil, Carlos." For goodness sake, who was that? He spun around to see Josie waving and heading towards them. He sighed. He couldn't be mad at Josie; it was physically impossible. "Fancy seeing you here."

"Is it fate by any chance?" Carlos muttered as Josie pulled up a chair.

"No, dear, it's lunchtime." She dismissed. "Cecil, sweetie, we're one short for the bowling team tomorrow."

"Again? Damn it." Cecil grumbled.

"If only we had someone young and energetic nearby." She smirked.

"Yes, if only." The table went silence. Josie cleared her throat. She was clearly used to having to prompt these things. "Oh, Carlos. Yes, Carlos, you're young and energetic."

"Um..." Carlos started. "Thank y-"

"You'd be perfect for the bowling team."

"I don't know."

"Come on, Carlos. What's the worst that could happen?" Asked Josie. In Night Vale that was quite a loaded question. He couldn't further entangle himself even further into the affairs of the town, could he? Say no, say no, say-

"Sure. It might be fun." He shrugged. Curse him.

"Awesome." Cecil exclaimed. "I can't wait to introduce you to everyone. They're going to love you. Hey, were you going to say something a minute ago?"

"...No. It's nothing." Carlos winced.

"Okay, I'm going to get a drink. The Hellfire and brimstone latte is on offer." Cecil practically leaped out of his chair and jogged towards the counter. At least he was going to find out what a Hellfire and brimstone latte was.

Bowling. Carlos hadn't bowled since he was a little kid. He'd always missed it. As far as sports went it was pretty relaxing: slow pace, few people, no running, no pushing. He'd probably enjoy it. Plus, he'd still get to spend time with Cecil, even if it wasn't in the manner he'd originally attended. Sure, bowling. Why not?