Chapter 12: Team Meeting

"So, let's go over this one more time." Said Marsha, as the whole team sat crowded around one small table in the lab. When Carlos had called an emergency meeting, she thought that it was going to be about their research, not his relationship problems. Yet there they all were, trying to work out how such a smart man could act so stupid. "He likes you?"

"Yes." Replied Carlos.

"And you like him?"

"Yes."

"And you're upset about this?"

"But it's not that simple." Carlos insisted. Marsha rolled her eyes dismissively. Why couldn't they understand? It wouldn't be fair to start a relationship when every single day he was getting that much closer to leaving. Leaving or dying, which either way wouldn't be good for Cecil. So now he was just stuck with a boat load of feelings with no water nearby to conveniently sink them in.

"You know, I'm beginning to see why you haven't been in many relationships." Robin commented.

"Thanks, Robin." Carlos sighed.

"Anytime, dude."

"Carlos, don't take this the wrong way, but you're an idiot." Said Jess.

"Oh okay, everyone just let loose. Don't mind me." Carlos grumbled.

"Oh no you're a really smart guy, but you're also, like, really of dumb. You're not looking for short term, right?" She asked.

"I didn't think I was looking for anything until about 12 hours ago." He muttered.

"I know, but our job is to adapt best on environment. So, with the new variables in hand, you're not looking for short term." Jess replied firmly.

"No, I mean I'd like to, I think, but you know if things get serious and then I have to cut things off I just...Urgh, how have humans survived this long?" His head killed as he held it in his hands, pulling at his soft, slowly recovering hair.

"You think why too hard." Said Robin.

"I'm a scientist. We're all scientists. Thinking is literally our whole thing." Carlos shouted.

"There's no need to get hysterical." Marsha snapped.

"You're right. Sorry, Robin." Carlos sighed.

"It's fine." Robin shrugged.

"Well, then it might be best to cut him off. Stay separate, let your feelings fade and the timer run out." Suggested Jess.

"What?" Carlos exclaimed. "We don't even get to be just friends?"

"Do you think you can just be friends?" Asked Marsha.

"I...don't know." He mumbled.

"Then Jess is right. It's the only way to force you both to move on."

"Except, he can't." Robin pointed out.

"He can't?" Asked Jess.

"I can't?" Carlos asked curiously.

"Mr Markson wants us to scope out the radio station." He continued.

"Why?" Carlos prompted.

"I don't know." He shrugged. "I mean, you spend half of your daily reports talking about that place. Maybe he was interested in that whole radiation thing."

"Well, one of us can check it out." Marsha asserted.

"But he wanted Carlos to do it. He says it'll be easier, what with Cecil already trusting him and all."

"I'm not manipulating Cecil for scientific research." Carlos scowled.

"It's not manipulation. Just...use of all available resources."

"I said one of us will check it out." Marsha snapped. "Mr Markson doesn't need to know. Trust me, Carlos. The pain will pass. Just focus on your science."

"Right..." Muttered Carlos. "Science."