Chapter 7: The Interrogation

It was another half an hour before Carlos saw the two men again. He sat alone in pitch black darkness on an uncomfortable chair with his hands tied behind his back while his captures (was it still considered being held captive if they were a legal force?) went out for a cigarette break.

"Don't worry to such about the rope. It's just a security measure, like when the police handcuff a person to the table." The driver had explained while the passenger secured him.

"So, you're not the police?" Carlos had asked. No phone call then. He didn't struggle, it would have only made things worse.

"Not exactly."

"Well, that's great." He grumbled before speaking up again "I would prefer to be handcuffed to a table."

"Well we don't have a table." The man snapped. "Now wait here."

"Will do. I don't really have a choice." Carlos replied cheerily. After that, the two men had left, turning the single unshaded bulb that formed the entire room's light off as they did. Luckily, Carlos was an excellent day dreamer even under terrible circumstances. His daydream started simple. He imagined the last few weeks had all been a dream. Night Vale certainly felt like a dream. As the dragging minutes past his thoughts became more elaborate. He smirked as he thought of himself suddenly developing excellent combat skills and breaking free or Josie, Cecil, and his team showing up a defensive force to be reckoned with. Both seemed unlikely. Carlos had never been in a fight in his life and nobody knew where he was. That thought sickened him. What if they just left him there, tied up in the dark. How long before anybody found him? How long before anyone would even think to look?

They didn't leave him there. They came back at long last. The sudden burst of light blinded him as it turned on with a nasty pinging sound. Carlos wished he could raise his arm in front of his face to protect himself, but of course he couldn't.

"Sorry about that, Mr Cienca." Said the driver.

"It's fine." Carlos tried to shrug. "Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, that glow cloud is still lingering on the edge of town and we had to get those animals out of the way before the street cleaners show up." The man who had been on the passenger side explained.

"Oh." Carlos jumped at the unexpected sound of his voice. "You do talk."

"Yeah. Of course, I talk." The passenger scowled.

"It's just that you haven't said anything so far and I just thought-"

"Well maybe I just don't want to chat all the time."

"Yeah, I get that."

"Would it matter if he didn't talk?" Hissed the driver.

"No, of course not."

"Because I know some great vague but menacing government agents that don't speak at all."

"You're right. I'm sorry. Shouldn't have mentioned it." Carlos nodded rapidly.

"It's fine. Let's just get back to the topic at hand." Said the passenger.

"Good idea. W-what's the topic at hand?"

"Helicopters." The passenger announced firmly.

"Helicopters?" Asked Carlos.

"The helicopters you told Mr Carlsberg you would investigate." Said the driver.

"Oh helicopters." Carlos suddenly remembered. "I completely forgot about them. Do you know anything about them? Who do they belong to? Do they belong to you? What do they want? Why is their presence always followed by..." His voice trailed off as he noticed the murderous glares he was receiving. "I mean..."